The pair of Wynn Resorts-owned casinos in Las Vegas became the first casinos in the state to operate at full capacity since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
The Nevada Gaming Control Board will allow Wynn and Encore Las Vegas to begin operating at 100% capacity on its gaming floors effective immediately. The move comes after the company was able to prove to regulators that 88% of its employees had been fully vaccinated against the virus.
Last month, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak said that Silver State casinos would be allowed to operate at 80% capacity starting in May and that he believed most casinos would be at full capacity by June 1. A memo released by the gaming regulators earlier that month stated that full capacity would be tied to the effort put forth by the companies to get its employees vaccinated.
In response to the memo, Wynn Resorts made it mandatory for its employees to get vaccinated or to prove a weekly negative test at their own expense. The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas took similar measures by offering a cash bonus to workers that took the shot.
All distancing requirements and plexiglass dividers will be removed from table games, but masks are still required inside the casino.
“Wynn Resorts announced today that, as of May 1, 2021, 88% of its Wynn Las Vegas employees have been vaccinated,” said a spokesperson for the company in a statement. “As a result, Wynn Las Vegas has been granted by the Nevada Gaming Control Board to amend its occupancy and physical distancing requirements. Effective today, the gaming areas at both Wynn and Encore will be permitted to run at 100% occupancy and plexiglass dividers will be removed from all table games and slot machines. Our employees and guests will continue to follow health and safety guidelines, including mask compliance, to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for all.”