Happy New Year from everyone at PokerNews! 2022 looks set to be a massive year for online poker if the opening weekend’s action is anything to go by. There were dozens of massive scores on January 3, including one weighing in at $108,655 for the Swedish online poker legend known as Niklas Astedt.
Astedt was one of 697 entrants in the WSOPC Series: $1,050 Sunday HR Main Event at GGPoker. The tournament paid out the top 98 finishers, which included the likes of Dario Sammartino, Nick Petrangelo, Chris Moorman, Alex Foxen, and Ole Schemion.
By the time the nine-handed final table was set, each of the players had locked in at least $12,753 for their efforts. This is the sum Cyprus’ Andreas Christoforou collected when he bowed out in ninth.
Leonard “LottoLarry” Maue, Lachezar “Psychadelica” Petkov, and “77Storm77” fell by the wayside, and collected between $16,670 and $28,480. Then came the elimination of Sergei Denisov in fifth, a finish worth $37,225.
Fourth-place and $48,657 went to “Kingmave9111” before “callplx” was ejected in third, and they reeled in $63,598.
Heads-up pitted Astedt against his fellow Swede Simon Mattsson. The battle between “Lena900” and “C. Darwin 2” as the pair are more commonly known, went the way of Astedt, and he kicked off 2022 with a victory and $108,655 in prize money. Mattsson walked away with $83,128 for his bridesmaid finish.
WSOPC Series: $1,050 Sunday HR Main Event Final Table Results
|7||Lachezar “Psychedelica” Petkov||Poland||$21,789|
|8||Leonard “LottoLarry” Maue||Austria||$16,670|
Nuter Helps Himself to a $391,454 Payday
What better way to kick off 2022 than by jumping into a $25,500 Super High Roller on the opening weekend! That is exactly what dozens of elite players did at GGPoker on January 2. Forty-eight entries were processed, which meant a $1,200,000 prize pool. Only the top five finishers won a slice of that pie, so spare a thought for David Coleman who became dislodged in sixth-place. Coleman popped the bubble and secured $123,788 for the surviving players.
Timothy Adams busted in fifth for the aforementioned prize, before high-stakes cash guru Wiktor Malinowski dusted off his stack and banked $165,075.
Brazil’s “bill2021” was the penultimate elimination, they walked away with $220,131, and left Andras Nemeth heads-up against Canada’s Timothy Nuter.
Nuter had finished ninth in a $25,500 Super High Roller in late August 2021 and won $151,504. He more than doubled that prize when he defeated Nemeth one-on-one to help himself to $391,454. Nemeth, although disappointed not to get a victory under his belt, must be pleased with adding $293,549 to his 2022 bankroll.
WSOPC Series: $25,500 Sunday Million Super HR Final Table Results
Haxton a Double Winner on the Opening Weekend
January 2, 2022, was a good day for Isaac Haxton, who managed t take down not one but two GGPoker tournaments. Haxton won the WSOPC Series: $5,250 Deepstack Sunday HR for $74,216 after a heads-up deal with GGPoker Ambassador Jason Koon ($80,209), having early triumphed in the WSOPC Series: $1,050 Sunday Kick-Off HR for $33,665.
These are some of the other substantial scores won by GGPoker players on January 2.
- NASHsauvage – first-place in the $1,050 GGMasters High Rollers for $144,778
- Guilherme “wolverine27” Schreiber – first-place in the $100 MILLION$ Mini Main Event for $118,160
- Li “LeeFeng” Feng – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $525 Bounty Hunters HR Main Event for $112,116*
- Christian Rudolph – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $5,250 Bounty Hunters Sunday HR for $80,426*
- Isaac Haxton – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $5,250 Deepstack Sunday HR for $74,216
- Daniel Dvoress – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $5,250 The Closer Sunday HR for $72,643
- Andrey Pateychuk – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $888 Crazy Eights HR for $62,380
- Miracules – first-place in the $150 GGMasters for $55,214
- Bruno Drumond – first-place in the GGMasters Bounty $300 for $51,248*
- Oliver Rebello – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $250 Sunday Main Event for $45,095
- Jabonga333 – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $1,050 Sunday PLO Main Event for $38,702
- Isaac Haxton – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $1,050 Sunday Kickoff HR for $33,665
- Vincent “PANDA_DRAGON” Lam – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $525 Bounty Hunters Fifty Stack HR for $31,560*
- Jonah Silverstein – first-place in the WSOPC Series: $300 Sunday Marathon for $30,795
*includes bounty payments
Get In On The GGPoker Action With a $600 Welcome Bonus
Now is the time to join GGPoker if you do not already have an account. Download GGPoker via PokerNews, create your account, and make your first deposit knowing GGPoker matches your initial deposit 100% up to a maximum of $600.
The bonus releases into your playable account balance in $1 increments each time you contribute $5 in net cash game rake or pay in tournament fees. You have a full 90 days to release as much of the bonus as possible.
In addition, new depositing players can get involved in the Honeymoon promotion. The promotion revolves around completing daily challenges. Completing just three see you win a prize. Complete all 30 and you will have received $170 worth of cash and $180 in other rewards on top of your $600 welcome bonus!
|Number of Missions Completed||Reward|
|3||2x $0.50 AoF Sit & Go Tickets|
|5||1x $2.50 Global MILLION$ Satellite ticket|
|7||10x $0.50 AoF Sit & Go tickets|
|10||1x $5 Omaholic MILLION$ Satellite ticket|
|23||1x $50 Global MILLION$ ticket|
|25||1x $52.50 Omahoic Bounty Quarter MILLION$ Stage 1 ticket|