Prince William was left ‘reeling’ by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey this month, sources have claimed.
The Duke of Cambridge’s ‘head is all over the place’ after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said racism drove them out of Britain in their two-hour CBS interview, a source close to the prince said.
It comes after Meghan Markle’s friend Gayle King this week revealed conversations between Prince Harry, his brother and their father Prince Charles were ‘not productive’.
A friend of the duke’s told The Sunday Times: ‘It’s still raw. He’s very upset by what’s happened, though absolutely intent that he and Harry’s relationship will heal in time.’
Prince William (pictured during special message for Comic Relief) is still ‘very upset’ by the interview given by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
Meanwhile a former Palace aide described how the Duke of Cambridge had been left with ‘the absence of his brother’ after he decided to step back as a senior royal and migrate to California.
They said: ‘Once he got over the anger of how things happened, he was left with the absence of his brother.
‘They shared everything about their lives, an office, a foundation, meetings together most days and there was a lot of fun along the way. He’ll miss it forever.’
Elsewhere another close friend of both brothers said comments made by Prince Harry that his brother was ‘trapped’ within the system ‘were way off the mark’ and said: ‘He has a path set for him and he’s completely accepting of his role.’
Earlier today it was revealed that more than 90 minutes of unseen footage from the Oprah interview could be aired to the public by ITV and further scupper peace talks between the Duke of Cambridge and his brother.
A source told the Sunday People: ‘There is a lot of interest in showing the interview in full.
‘The original programme was the biggest show of the year so far in the UK and was bought by firms around the world.’
They added: ‘Oprah’s production company know they’re sitting on a goldmine so it’s possible a deal could be done.’
It comes after CBS presenter Gayle King said she had spoken to the Sussexes who told her that Harry had talked to the Duke of Cambridge and Prince of Wales after the interview.
But she said the conversations were ‘not productive’ and the Sussexes were keen for the ‘royals to intervene and tell the Press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant’.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex during their two-hour interview with Oprah Winfrey
CBS presenter Gayle King said she had spoken to the Sussexes and that conversations between Prince Harry and his brother and father were ‘not productive’
Prince Harry arrives with his best man Prince William at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, in 2018
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend the Commonwealth Day Service 2020
Ms King, 66, who is also close friends with Oprah, failed to give any examples of the stories she was referring to, but added that Meghan had ‘documents to back up everything that she said on Oprah’s interview’.
She told CBS This Morning: ‘Well I’m not trying to break news, but I did actually call them to see how they were feeling, and it’s true, Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too.
‘The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.
‘And I think what is still upsetting to them is the palace keep saying they want to work it out privately, but yet, they believe these false stories are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan, still.
‘No one in the Royal Family has talked to Meghan yet, at this particular time.
‘And I think it’s frustrating for them to see that it’s a racial conversation about the Royal Family when all they wanted all along was for the royals to intervene and tell the Press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant.
‘And until you can acknowledge that, I think it’s going to be hard to move forward. But they both want to move forward with this and they both want healing in this family. At the end of the day, that is Harry’s family.’
During their interview this month the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said racism drove them out of Britain and claimed their son Archie was denied the title of prince because he is mixed-race.
Earlier this week Prince William spoke with Syrian aid workers about how donations from Britain are being used to help millions of vulnerable people
Meghan Markle claimed she entered the Royal Family ‘naively’ and didn’t do any research about her husband or the institution and Prince Harry accused his father Prince Charles of refusing to take his calls when the pair emigrated to the US last year.
Last week, Prince William defended the Royal Family, saying it was ‘very much not a racist family’ while on a trip to a school in London, and said ominously of Harry: ‘I haven’t spoken to him yet but I will do.’
This evening Kensington Palace released footage of Prince William speaking with Syrian aid workers about how donations from Britain are being used to help millions of vulnerable people.
Speaking with humanitarian workers Fadi Hallisso, Kawther Mohamad Ali, and Shahinaz Muamar via video call on Thursday, the duke said he was ‘amazed’ by the money raised to date, but acknowledged it is ‘nowhere near what you need’.
Prince William is left ‘totally overwhelmed’ as he speaks to Syrian aid workers
The Duke of Cambridge has said he is ‘totally overwhelmed by the scale of the burden’ faced by the ‘incredible heroes’ who are helping tackle the pandemic in war-torn countries.
William spoke with three Syrian aid workers, supported by the Disasters Emergency Committee’s (DEC) Coronavirus Appeal, about how donations from Britain are being used to help millions of vulnerable people.
The DEC’s appeal was launched last July, and aims to support health workers and improve the living conditions of refugees in regions including Yemen, Syria, Somalia, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Afghanistan.
More than £38 million has been raised so far, of which £10 million was matched by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office through UK Aid Match.
Speaking with humanitarian workers Fadi Hallisso, Kawther Mohamad Ali, and Shahinaz Muamar via video call on Thursday, William said he was ‘amazed’ by the money raised to date, but acknowledged it is ‘nowhere near what you need’.
He said: ‘As a fundraising initiative goes, that’s a decent amount. I know it’s nowhere near what you need, but £38 million in a coronavirus pandemic year is quite impressive.’