Former President Donald Trump announced On Wednesday he was launching a class action law suit against Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and Google CEO Sundar Pichai on behalf of victims of ‘cancel culture.’
He demanded the end of ‘shadow banning,’ and ‘blacklisting’ as he stood in the blazing sun, using his Bedminster golf course clubhouse as a backdrop.
‘In addition, we are asking the court to impose punitive damages on these social media giants,’ he said.
‘We’re going to hold big tech very accountable.’
Trump will serve as the lead plaintiff in the suit, claiming he has been wrongfully censored, he added.
The legal moves are backed by the America First Policy Institute, a non-profit that includes several former senior administration officials.
Linda McMahon, former Small Business Administrator under Trump and chairwoman of the America First Policy Institute, and Brooke Rollins, former acting director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, will accompany him.
Donald Trump is set to announce class action lawsuits against Twitter and Facebook on behalf of users who have been banned, according to sources
Journalists gathered in from of the clubhouse at Trump’s Bedminster golf club. Trump is due to appear at 11am. The house once belonged to disgraced autonmobile executive John Delorean
‘There’s no topic on which they, the elites, the big firms the progressives the officeholders and the bureaucrats… there’s no other topic that they are seeing as a bigger obstacle to achieve their ambitions, than the First Amendment,’ said Rollins as she launched the event.
Trump advisers had previously suggested that he would make an announcement about a new social media platform during the Fourth of July weekend, but it is understood that remains a work in progress.
The legal actions would allow him to sue Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey on behalf of a group that claims they have been silenced because of their politics.
He is still banned from using both the social media giants because of his comments in the wake of the Capitol riot.
His team has repeatedly claimed he has been silenced because he is conservative, but the social media giants say it is for safety reasons in the wake of January 6.
Trump’s announcement of the class-action suits was first reported by Axios.
In May, Facebook’s independent Oversight Board, which is sometimes known as its ‘Supreme Court’ reaffirmed that Trump would be banned for two years.
However, they said he could return if he stopped committing ‘violations’.
Republicans and Democrats have ramped up their battle with the dominance of Big Tech.
But Trump’s cases would be targeting the policies he believes quashes conservative voices.
DailyMail.com has reached out to Twitter and Facebook for comment.
The legal actions would allow him to sue Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey on behalf of a group that claims they have been silenced because of their policies
Twitter was the first platform to ban Trump. It initially imposed a 12-hour suspension for two messages it said could have spurred violence around the January 20 inauguration.
“The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!” one tweet read.
Twitter said this message, referring to false claims about the election, could have been viewed as encouraging supporters to violent protest in the hope overturning the result.
Trump unleashed his fury on a blog set up as alternative way to get his message out.
‘What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country,’ he wrote.
‘Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before.’