Scarlett Johansson joins cast of new Wes Anderson movie…. amid battle with Disney over Black Widow


Scarlett Johansson joins cast of new Wes Anderson movie…. amid battle with Disney over Black Widow release

She’s currently suing Disney for breach of contract over the release of Marvel’s Black Widow.

And on Monday, Scarlett Johansson booked another high profile role, this time for filmmaker Wes Anderson.

The actress, 36, is joining the cast of his new movie which already counts Margot Robbie and Tom Hanks among its stars, THR.com reported.  

New gig: Scarlett Johansson has booked another high profile role, joining the cast of Wes Anderson’s new movie, THR.com reported Monday

Little is known about the plot for Anderson’s project which is currently filming.

But many of his regular collaborators are reuniting with him for it, including Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton and Adrien Brody.

According to THR.com, principal photography is scheduled to be completed by the end of September.

Meanwhile, Anderson’s pandemic-delayed The French Dispatch will be hitting screens in October. 

Filmmaker: Little is known about the plot for Anderson's project which is currently filming. But principal photography is scheduled to be completed by the end of September (pictured July)

Filmmaker: Little is known about the plot for Anderson’s project which is currently filming. But principal photography is scheduled to be completed by the end of September (pictured July)

Tom Hanks has signed on for the film and many of Anderson's regular collaborators are reuniting with him for it, including Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton and Adrien Brody

Margot Robbie also has a role in the new movie

Filming: Tom Hanks and Margot Robbie have signed on for the film and many of Anderson’s regular collaborators are reuniting with him for it, including Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton and Adrien Brody

Coming soon: Meanwhile, Anderson's star-studded pandemic-delayed The French Dispatch will be hitting screens in October

Coming soon: Meanwhile, Anderson’s star-studded pandemic-delayed The French Dispatch will be hitting screens in October

Johansson has filed a lawsuit against Disney that alleges her contract was breached when the studio released Black Widow simultaneously in theaters and on streaming service Disney+. 

The two-time Oscar nominee claims she lost out on more than $50 million as a result.

In her suit, she said her contract guaranteed that Black Widow would have an exclusive theatrical release, and that the bulk of her salary was based on the box office performance.

However, last week, Disney CEO Bob Chapek defended the studio’s actions, telling those on a third quarter earnings call: ‘We value flexibility in being able to make last-minute calls. Certainly when we planned we didn’t anticipate the resurgence of COVID.’ 

Chapek doubled-down on the ‘hybrid movie’ release, calling it ‘the right strategy to enable us to reach the broadest possible audience.’

The CEO added that ‘distribution decisions are made on a film-by-film basis. We will continue to utilize all options going forward.’

Legal fight: Johansson has filed a lawsuit against Disney alleging her contract was breached when the studio released Black Widow simultaneously in theaters and on streaming service Disney+. The two-time Oscar nominee claims she lost out on more than $50 million as a result

Legal fight: Johansson has filed a lawsuit against Disney alleging her contract was breached when the studio released Black Widow simultaneously in theaters and on streaming service Disney+. The two-time Oscar nominee claims she lost out on more than $50 million as a result

Disney previously revealed in a statement to DailyMail.com that Johansson made $20 million from the film.

‘The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,’ the company said.

‘Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract. Furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.’

Could Scarlett spark a Hollywood uprising? Star’s lawsuit could inspire others whose films were released via streaming to launch their own battles 

Scarlett Johansson’s lawsuit against Disney raises questions over whether other major stars could follow her lead and launch their own legal attacks over compensation after a year where the pandemic drove many studios to abandon traditional cinema releases. 

The suit comes at a pivotal moment for the film industry, as more major studios experiment with releasing movies simultaneously online and in theaters.

In response to the pandemic, Warner Bros. decided to release its full slate of movies this year on HBO Max on the same day that they hit theaters.

Parent company AT&T, which owns both Warner Bros. and HBO, appears pleased with the formula and plans to extend it.

Last week, WarnerMedia chief Jason Kilar revealed that in 2022 Warner Bros. will be producing 10 films that will debut on HBO Max the same day they’re released.

Disney also moved toward simultaneous streaming release of movies due to the pandemic.

Multiple stars and directors have pushed back on the shift to streaming service releases because they cut into the much larger profits that come from traditional months-long exclusive theater runs.  

Warner Bros. and WarnerMedia was forced to pay more than $200million to talent up front last year to compensate for filmmakers’ loss of traditional profit participation after it chose to release movies on HBO Max at no additional cost to consumers.  

And in May it was reported that A Quiet Place II director John Krasinki and star Emily Blunt demanded more money from Paramount Pictures after its parent company ViacomCBS put the film on Paramount+ 45 after its theatrical release.

Advertisement



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button