Prince Harry’s old Eton and Army friends warn him not to reveal their secrets


Prince Harry‘s old Eton and Army friends have warned him not to reveal their secrets in his tell-all memoir due to be published next year.  

Many of his older friends are worried his book could cause them huge embarrassment and some have warned they are ready to dish the Royal dirt if his book exposes them. 

Harry and his wife Meghan agreed a lucrative four-book deal, including the Prince’s memoir and a second book reportedly to be published after the Queen has died, for a figure possibly close to £29million.

Harry’s lawyers have said the claim that he is waiting for his grandmother to pass away before releasing one of the books is ‘false and defamatory’. 

The deal has rattled some of Harry’s chums who fear unwanted revelations could be the final insult after years of them refusing to gossip about him.   

Prince Harry attends the unveiling of a statue commissioned of his mother Diana, Princess of Wales, on July 1

Prince Harry’s old Eton and Army friends have warned him not to reveal their secrets in his tell-all memoir due to be published next year and warned they may be ready to dish the royal dirt if his book exposes them

Harry's book deal deal has rattled some of his chums who fear unwanted revelations could be the final insult after years of them refusing to gossip about him (pictured serving with the army in Helmand province, Afghanistan, in January 2008)

Harry’s book deal deal has rattled some of his chums who fear unwanted revelations could be the final insult after years of them refusing to gossip about him (pictured serving with the army in Helmand province, Afghanistan, in January 2008)

A friend said: ‘It feels very hypocritical given Harry chucked people out of his friendship group for talking to the press.

‘There is a fear that he’s going to reveal details of his hedonistic youth which some worry will play havoc with their careers and personal lives.’

Another pal said ominously: ‘Harry’s mates have remained loyal to him… so far.’

As Harry, 36, has said that he will recount ‘experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons’, friends fear that it might paint them in a bad light.

A source said: ‘If Harry slams any of his old school and military buddies in his new book they have pledged to break ranks to tell their story.’

The bad feeling began when some of Harry’s then inner circle were left off the list for the couple’s wedding reception to make room for new pals such as Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney.

Even Harry’s wingman Tom ‘Skippy’ Inskip – famously by Harry’s side in 2012 when he stripped naked in a Las Vegas hotel room – was shunned by the prince when it came to the wedding reception at Frogmore House.

And, a source says, Harry’s pals are nervous that ‘friendly emails have gone unanswered, which hasn’t instilled much confidence’.  

In news sure to cause further alarm, industry insiders have said the ‘tell-all’ tome unveiled by Harry earlier this week is only the ‘tip of the iceberg’. 

Sources said the Duke of Sussex oversaw the bidding and told publishing houses to begin at £18million, with the final figure possibly reaching £29million.

The deal will see a memoir released next year – when it is the Queen’s platinum jubilee – with the second book to be held back until after her death.

Harry’s wife Meghan is to pen a ‘wellness’ guide as part of the contract with Penguin Random House. The subject and author of the fourth title is unknown.

The deal will see Prince Harry's memoir released next year – when it is the Queen's platinum jubilee – with the second book to be held back until after her death

The deal includes a second book written by Prince Harry to be published after the Queen as died

Harry’s wife Meghan is to pen a ‘wellness’ guide as part of the contract with Penguin Random House

Harry’s wife Meghan is to pen a ‘wellness’ guide as part of the contract with Penguin Random House

The prince, 36, reportedly ‘led’ negotiations from Montecito in California, where he and Meghan have bought an £11million mansion on the back of lucrative tie-ups, including with streaming services Netflix and Spotify.

Two publishers flew out from London to see him and others took part in the ‘auction’ by video call, sources said. 

‘He conducted negotiations – he had a very ‘take it or leave it’ attitude,’ said an impeccably-placed source in the publishing industry. 

‘Those involved were actually very shocked by his approach, which was to look at them coldly and state his demands – $25million.’ 

Harry is collaborating with Pulitzer-winning ghostwriter JR Moehringer on what his publishers described as ‘the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him’. 

The two men have been working on the book for up to a year.

It is described by Harry as a ‘wholly truthful first-hand account’ of his life. But royal aides are worried that it will prove to be a highly one-sided account of the prince’s experiences and reignite tensions with his estranged family.

The Queen and senior royals are still dealing with the fallout from his slew of interviews, most notably with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey. 

The prince has made a string of highly damaging allegations about his closest relatives, including claims of institutional racism.  

The fact that Harry and Meghan, 39, are set to publish more than one book was not referred to in the official announcement about his memoir earlier this week.

Lawyers acting for Harry have said the claims are ‘false and defamatory’ and that there will is only memoir planned by the prince, to be published next year.     

Payment for the book deal is likely to be delivered in parts over a number of years.

Penguin Random House said that the ‘proceeds’ from the book would be donated to charity but has not detailed whether this would include both royalties and the advance.

A spokesman for the prince also insisted that he had informed his family – including the Queen – about plans for his book ‘very recently’.

Yet the Mail understands his office made attempts to contact the royal household only hours before the story was broken by a US newspaper after learning it was about to become public.

Charles is said to have been particularly surprised by the news when it was announced.

Penguin Random House was contacted in detail about the story yesterday but said it would not be making any further comment ‘over and above what is contained in the original press release’.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment last night on the revelations. 

The Queen and senior royals are still dealing with the fallout from his slew of interviews, most notably with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey

The Queen and senior royals are still dealing with the fallout from his slew of interviews, most notably with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey 

Prince Charles (pictured at Exeter Cathedral on July 19), who has a rocky relationship with his son, is said to have been particularly surprised

Prince Charles (pictured at Exeter Cathedral on July 19), who has a rocky relationship with his son, is said to have been particularly surprised 



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button