Prince Harry and William ‘unite’ to approve Princess Diana statue in time for unveiling in July
Prince Harry and William have reportedly reunited to approve the statue of Princess Diana in time for an unveiling at Kensington Palace in the summer.
The brothers are said to have signed off on a final design for the statue set to be revealed on July 1 – what would have been their late mother’s 60th birthday.
Sculptors Ian Rank-Broadley, whose portrait of the Queen appears on all British coins, are creating the commissioned statue.
The hope of repairing a rift between the pair comes in the aftermath of Harry and Meghan Markle‘s explosive two-hour CBS interview with Oprah Winfrey last month.
A source claimed to The Sun that Zara Tindall and her husband Mike had been playing peacemaker between the two for months before the Oprah interview.
And a source close to the sculptor told The Sun: ‘It will have been signed off by William and Harry, that much I do know.
Prince William (pictured left) and Harry (right, in LA) are said to have signed off on a final design for the statue set to be revealed on July 1 – what would have been Diana’s 60th birthday
Princess Diana pictured with her sons, William and Harry, in Toronto during their visit to Canada (file photo)
‘I know he did work closely with the boys and I think it will be incredible. We’re lucky to have him as an artist in the UK.’
Planners at the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea previously approved plans for the statue despite only being given its dimensions and location.
Historic England also said the proposal would not have an adverse effect on the Grade I-listed Kensington Palace.
Jane Siddell, inspector of Ancient Monuments for Historic England, earlier wrote: ‘The proposed art installation is located within the Sunken Garden, an early 20th century element of the gardens located a little way from the east front of the Palace.
‘The location has been carefully chosen, with the statue to be located off-centre on one of the paths within the garden, close to an opening in the hedges.
But a source claimed that Zara Tindall and her husband Mike had been playing peacemaker between the two for months before the Oprah interview. Pictured: Savannah Phillips,Mike Tindall, Lena Tindall, Mia Tindall, Zara Tindall and Isla Phillips at the Festival of British Eventing at Gatcombe Park in 2019
The hope of repairing a rift between the pair comes in the aftermath of Harry and Meghan Markle’s explosive two-hour CBS interview with Oprah Winfrey last month
The statue was commissioned to mark the twentieth anniversary of Princess Diana’s death and recognise her positive impact around the world
Historic England previously said the proposal would not have an adverse effect on the Grade I-listed Kensington Palace (file photo of palace and gardens)
‘It will be visible to the public viewing the garden, but the statue will not impinge upon views of, or from the Palace owing to its slightly sunken and screened position.
‘There is a tradition of statues being installed in Kensington Gardens and around Kensington Palace, for instance the statue of King William III to the south of the palace, and Queen Victoria by the Round Pond, and the proposed installation follows that tradition.’
The brothers’ reunion will come after Prince Harry made reference to the rift with William during his interview with Oprah.
He told the talk show host: ‘As I’ve said before, I love William to bits. He’s my brother. We’ve been through hell together.
The brothers’ reunion will come after Prince Harry made reference to the rift with William during his interview with Oprah (pictured: Harry and William in Windsor in 2018)
Princess Diana with her sons on a sleigh ride during their skiing holiday in Lech, Austria
‘I mean, we have a shared experience. But we’re on different paths.’
William insisted the royals were ‘very much not a racist family’ as he and Kate visited a school in east London to support a youth mental health support service in March.
Sky News reporter Inzamam Rashid asked him: ‘Sir, have you spoken to your brother since the interview?’
Prince William replied tersely: ‘I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do.’
MailOnline has reached out to Ian Rank-Broadley and Buckingham Palace for comment.