Prince Albert II of Monaco appeared without Princess Charlene by his side again as he attended the Red Cross Summer concert in Monte Carlo on Friday.
The royal, 63, who was seen without his wife for the six month running, was joined by Princess Caroline of Hanover, who put on a glamorous display in a brown floaty dress and stiletto heels.
Princess Charlene – the former South African Olympian – had been due to return to Monaco for the principality’s Grand Prix which took place on May 26 where she was guest of honour.
However, she has not yet been seen in Monaco and royal officials said the princess was unable to travel because she had an ear nose and throat infection.
Prince Albert II appeared without Princess Charlene again as he attended the Red Cross Summer concert in Monte Carlo, Monaco on Friday. Pictured, with Princess Caroline of Hanover arrive to attend the Red Cross Summer Concert on July 16, 2021 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Prince Albert II of Monaco, Princess Caroline of Hanover, Beatrice Borromeo, Charlotte Rassam and Tatiana Santo Domingo arrive at the event
Charlene, 43, who hasn’t been seen in Monaco since January, recently said she had faced a ‘trying time’ in the past few months and is ‘missing her children dearly’
The Monaco royals put safety first in protective face masks in accordance to government guidelines to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
They could be seen posing on the red carpet alongside Charlotte Rassam, Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo before making their way inside.
Prince Albert II put on a dapper display in white trousers, a crisp white shirt, red tie and smart black blazer.
The glitzy event comes just a day after the Monaco royal family continued to trumpet the love story between Princess Charlene and Prince Albert as the couple spent yet another week apart.
Prince Albert II of Monaco, Princess Caroline of Hanover, Tatiana Santo Domingo, Charlotte Rassam arrive to attend the Red Cross Summer Concert on July 16, 2021 in Monte-Carlo
The Monaco royals put safety first in protective face masks in accordance to government guidelines to prevent the spread of Covid-19
Prince Albert II of Monaco, Pierre Casiraghi, Tatiana Santo Domingo and Charlotte Rassam arrive to attend the Red Cross Summer Concert in Monte-Carlo
The glitzy event comes just a day after the Monaco royal family continued to trumpet the love story between Princess Charlene and Prince Albert as the couple spend yet another week apart. Pictured, Prince Albert II of Monaco and Princess Caroline of Hanover
The official Palais Princier de Monaco Instagram account shared a video titled, ‘two paths, one destination’, charting Charlene and Albert’s lives before they met each other on Thursday.
The clips cover the fanfare that surrounded Albert’s birth, his time on the Monaco Winter Olympic bobsleigh team and his early years as a working royal, as well as Charlene’s journey from South African schoolgirl to Olympic swimmer.
The 1 minute 50 second video ends with Albert clapping Charlene at the Mare Nostrum swimming competition in Monte Carlo in 2000, where the two first met.
It comes as the couple continue to spend time apart, with Charlene remaining in South Africa away from Albert and their six-year-old twins Jacques and Gabriella while she undergoes ‘multiple, complicated’ procedures after contracting an ear, nose and throat infection in May, while on a solo visit to the country.
Charlene, 43, who hasn’t been seen in Monaco since January, recently said she had faced a ‘trying time’ in the past few months and is ‘missing her children dearly.’
The guests could all be seen putting safety first as they donned protective face masks in accordance with government guidelines
Prince Albert II of Monaco, Pierre Casiraghi, Beatrice Borromeo, Tatiana Santo Domingo and Charlotte Rassam donned their best formal wear as they arrived for the glamorous concert
Prince Albert II of Monaco, Beatrice Borromeo, Tatiana Santo Domingo and Charlotte Rassam
Last week Princess Charlene shared photos of a recent FaceTime call with her children.
In the snaps, the mother-of-two could be seen showing her children around the room, pointing to posters on the wall and a sewing machine.
In one, she could be seen blowing a kiss to her son Jacques, while in another she gazed at the screen, with her chin resting on her hand.
Charlene has spoken of how she is missing her husband and children ‘dearly’, telling Channel24 last week: ‘What has been extremely difficult for me was when I was instructed by my medical team that I could not return home for my 10th wedding anniversary.
‘Without his love and support I would not have been able to get through this painful time.’
Earlier this month Princess Charlene shared the two-minute long video, titled ‘Chapter 1: A New Princess for Monaco’, on her official account.
Set to stirring classical music, the video montage offers a behind-the-scenes look at the extraordinary time, effort and cost that went into staging the couple’s civil wedding on July 1, 2011.
A religious ceremony was held the following day and a two-day national holiday was declared to mark the occasion.
Prince Albert II of Monaco could be seen waving to wellwishers as he arrived at the Red Cross Summer Concert
Clips show Charlene and Albert exchanging vows in front of close family and friends in the Throne Room of the Prince’s Palace, and sharing a kiss on the palace balcony to the delight of a cheering crowd. The couple also appeared on stage together at a celebratory concert for the public.
The mother-of-two hasn’t been seen in Monaco since January, but her husband and children visited her in South Africa earlier this year.
In a statement last month, Charlene explained she would not return to her family in time for the anniversary, saying: ‘This year will be the first time that I’m not with my husband on our anniversary in July, which is difficult, and it saddens me.
‘However, Albert and I had no choice but to follow the medical team’s instructions even though it is extremely difficult. He has been the most incredible support to me.
‘My daily conversations with Albert and my children help immensely to keep my spirits up, but I miss being with them.
‘It was special to have my family visit me in South Africa, and it was truly wonderful seeing them. I can’t wait to be reunited with them.’
The Monaco royals could be seen posing on the red carpet alongside Gareth Wittstock, Roisin Wittstock, Charlotte Rassam, Andrea Casiraghi, Tatiana Santo Domingo, Beatrice Borromeo and Pierre Casiraghi
Prince Albert II of Monaco (pictured left) put on a dapper display in white trousers, a crisp white shirt, red tie and smart black blazer
Prince Albert II of Monaco, Beatrice Borromeo, Princess Caroline of Hanover, Charlotte Rassam and Tatiana Santo Domingo
The Monaco royals received a warm welcome and were greeted with a bunch of flowers on arrival
Princess Charlene came to South Africa to do conservation and anti-poaching work, earlier this year.
Her foundation says she was driving the causes close to her heart, pouring herself into her Foundation work in South Africa when she fell ill.
Before contracting the infection and undergoing the procedures, Princess Charlene worked with various ambassadors and partners to raise awareness and funds for the Foundation’s initiatives.
Prince Albert and their children will visit Princess Charlene in South Africa again soon to be with her and support her, a spokesperson said.
Former Olympian Charlene, who debuted a radical new hairstyle while on the trip, had originally been due to return to Monaco in time for the Grand Prix in May, where she was guest of honour. Months later and she is still not home.
Charlene and Albert’s marriage has been plagued with rumours from the start.
The couple met at the Mare Nostrum swimming competition in Monte Carlo in 2000, announced their engagement in 2010.
Former Olympic swimmer Charlene reportedly tried to flee Monaco for her native South Africa on three separate occasions before the royal wedding after discovering Albert had allegedly fathered a love child – his third – while they were together.
Prince Albert II of Monaco removed his glasses as he posed for a photograph alongside Princess Caroline of Hanover, Charlotte Rassam, Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo
Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlotte Rassam engaged in conversation as they arrived at the Red Cross Summer concert
Monaco officials were said to have coaxed her back by brokering a deal between the Prince and his reluctant bride, saying she could leave once she had provided him with a legitimate heir.
One source said at the time: ‘Charlene will provide an heir, then if things don’t go well, she will receive a generous divorce settlement once she’s served a decent amount of time.’
Charlene was seen in floods of tears on her wedding day in 2011.
Just one year after their wedding, it was reported that Charlene was ‘depressed’ at her failure to provide her husband with a legitimate heir.
Her pregnancy was announced in May 2014, and in December that year she gave birth to twins Princess Gabriella and heir to the throne Prince Jacques.
In the almost 10 years since, Charlene, who shares six-year-old twins with Albert, has rarely spoken publicly of her experience.
In 2017, the Princess made an emotional return to Africa, where she spoke about how much the continent means to her.
‘I am African and this is my heritage. It will always be. It’s in my heart and in my veins,’ she told Eyewitness News.
Last year she admitted life was ‘very painful’, saying: ‘I have the privilege of having this life, but I miss my family and my friends in South Africa and I’m often sad because I cannot always be there for them.’
Gareth Wittstock, Roisin Wittstock, Princess Caroline of Hanover, Prince Albert II of Monaco, Charlotte Rassam, Andrea Casiraghi, Tatiana Santo Domingo, Beatrice Borromeo and Pierre Casiraghi posed up a storm on the red carpet
Prince Albert cut a smart figure in white trousers, a blazer, red tie and crisp shirt as he arrived at the event on Friday
It’s been a tumultuous start to the year for the royal, after news emerged that her husband is facing a paternity suit over a love child born in the early years of their relationship.
The 63-year-old prince, who already supports two illegitimate children, is alleged to have had a relationship with a Brazilian woman which resulted in a daughter in 2005.
The claim, which his lawyers dismissed as a ‘hoax’, is particularly painful as he was dating Charlene at the time, having met the former Olympic swimmer in 2000.
The 34-year-old claimant – who cannot be named for legal reasons – says she had a passionate affair with Albert, leading to the birth of their daughter – whose name is also classified – on July 4, 2005.
Albert received a handwritten letter from the child, who is now 15, in September last year reading: ‘I don’t understand why I grew up without a father, and now that I have found you, you don’t want to see me.’
Prince Albert II of Monaco was joined by Princess Caroline of Hanover, who put on a glamorous display in a brown floaty dress and stiletto heels (pictured)
Princess Caroline of Hanover, Prince Albert II of Monaco, Charlotte Rassam, Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo
Princess Caroline of Hanover put on a glamorous display in a stylish brown dress and accessorized with dainty pearl earrings
Legal papers were also filed, as lawyers for the claimant called on Albert to undergo a DNA test – just as he did before finally being identified as the father of two illegitimate children born in the 1990s and early 2000s.
In January, Charlene spoke publicly for the first time since the allegations, telling Point de Vue: ‘When my husband has problems, he tells me about it.
‘I often tell him, “No matter what, no matter what, I’m a thousand percent behind you. I’ll stand by you whatever you do, in good times or in bad.”
The mother-of-two went on to say she also often tells her husband she will ‘protect him’ and will ‘always be by his side.’
Charlene, who was raised in South Africa and represented the country at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, travelled to Thanda Safari in KwaZulu-Natal to learn more about being done by the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation South Africa to help save rhinos from poachers.
The princess took part in conservation operations including rhino monitoring and tracking, deployment with the Anti-Poaching Unit, educational wildlife photography sessions, and a White Rhino dart and dehorning exercise.