Entertainment

Piers Morgan slams ‘bullies’ on US chat show The Talk for ‘shaming’ Sharon Osbourne


Piers Morgan today slammed ‘bullies’ on US chat show The Talk for ‘shaming’ Sharon Osbourne into apologising after he stood up to the panel accusing him of racism for questioning Meghan Markle’s claims. 

Osbourne had launched into a passionate defence of her fellow Brit on the programme, saying ‘Everybody has a right to say what they feel with freedom of speech’. 

But after receiving a barracking on the show and a backlash on social media, she tweeted today to say  that after ‘some reflection… I am truly sorry’, as she apologised ‘to anyone of colour that I offended and/or to anyone that feels confused or let down’.  

Morgan expressed his disappointment with the u-turn today, tweeting: ‘Sharon’s been shamed & bullied into apologising for defending me against colleagues accusing me of racism because I don’t believe Meghan Markle’s bulls***.

‘This is where we’ve reached. I demand an apology from those @TheTalkCBS bullies for their disgraceful slurs against ME.’

Piers Morgan today expressed his disappointment after Sharon Osbourne apologised following her impassioned defence of him on US chat show The Talk 

Earlier Osbourne, 68, had posted a lengthy statement on Twitter in which she wrote:  I have always been embraced with so much love and support from the black community and I have deep respect and love for the black community.

‘To anyone of colour that I offended and/or to anyone that feels confused or let down by what I said, I am truly sorry.

‘I panicked, felt blindsided, got defensive and allowed my fear and horror of being accused of being racist take over.

‘There are very few things that hurt my heart more than racism so to feel associated with that spun me fast!

‘I am not perfect, I am still learning like the rest of us and will continue to learn, listen and do better.’

Osbourne had also tweeted her support for Morgan, saying: ‘I am with you. I stand by you. People forget that you’re paid for your opinion and that you’re just speaking your truth.’

Now she has said: ‘Please hear me when I say I do not condone racism, misogyny or bullying.

‘I should have been more specific about that in my tweet. I will always support freedom of speech, but now I see how I unintentionally didn’t make that clear distinction.’

Morgan had praised Osbourne for tweeting her support for him, saying: ‘When stuff like this happens, true friends run towards you, fake friends run away. I love Sharon Osbourne because she always stays true to herself.

‘She knew she would get abused by the woke brigade for tweeting this – but did it anyway because it’s what she believes.’ 

Osbourne on Wednesday asked her co-host on The Talk to explain her issue with Morgan

Osbourne on Wednesday asked her co-host on The Talk to explain her issue with Morgan 

Osbourne's statement, which she posted onto Twitter following a backlash

Osbourne’s statement, which she posted onto Twitter following a backlash 

Nearly 100,00 call for return of Piers Morgan in 48 HOURS

Nearly 100,000 people have signed petitions demanding ITV bosses reinstate Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain after he sensationally quit the show.

The tough-talking morning show host, 55, walked away from his role hours after the launch of a social media campaign which saw more than the 41,000 complaints made to Ofcom.

Piers had earlier clashed with weatherman Alex Beresford and stormed out of the studio after being challenged over his position on Meghan Markle‘s recent interview with Oprah Winfrey.  

In less than 48 hours, more than 100,000 people have made impassioned pleas calling for the presenter to be reinstated on ITV’s flagship breakfast show.  

Piers yesterday responded to the soaring petitions on Twitter, writing that although the support came as a ‘pleasant surprise’ he will not be returning to GMB.

He said: ‘I won’t be going back, but thanks to everyone who has signed these petitions. Normally, people start petitions to have me fired or deported, so this is a pleasant surprise.’ 

The pair have known each other for decades.  

When Morgan launched Piers Morgan’s Life Stories on British television in 2009, Osbourne was his first guest. 

Morgan told reporters outside his West London home on Wednesday: ‘If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it.’         

Morgan, a former presenter on CNN and Daily Mail editor at large, was strongly critical of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision to speak to Oprah Winfrey, in an interview that aired on Sunday night in the U.S. and on Monday in the U.K.

He accused Meghan and Harry of damaging the royal family and seeking publicity on their own terms – without accepting the responsibility and scrutiny that come with their position.

His criticism sparked a firestorm, and he departed from Good Morning Britain on Tuesday, following a furious row with his co-host Alex Beresford, which saw him storm off the set,

During Wednesday’s debate Osbourne told Sheryl Underwood, her co-host, who was on the verge of tears, that she felt he was just expressing an opinion. 

‘Did I like everything he said? Did I agree with what he said? No, because it’s his opinion. It’s not my opinion. 

‘But why is it that because I supported a long-time friend and work colleague of mine for years that everybody goes, if you support him, then you must be racist because he’s racist?’ 

With Underwood looking upset, Osbourne continued: ‘This is the situation. 

‘You tell me where you have heard him say, educate me, tell me when you have heard him [Morgan] say racist things. 

‘Educate me. Tell me.’

Underwood told Osbourne, who has known Morgan for many decades, why she was upset

Underwood told Osbourne, who has known Morgan for many decades, why she was upset

Piers happily stopped and smiled for the cameras as he left his west London home with daughter Elise yesterday morning

Piers happily stopped and smiled for the cameras as he left his west London home with daughter Elise yesterday morning

Underwood said that the issue was not with Morgan’s words as much as his tone.

‘It is not the exact words of racism,’ said Underwood.

‘It is the implication and the reaction to it. 

‘To not want to address that, because she is a black woman, and to try and dismiss it or to make it seem less than it is. That’s what makes it racist.

‘Right now I am talking to a woman I believe is my friend. 

‘I don’t want anybody here to watch this and think we are attacking you for being racist.’

Osbourne replied: ‘I think it’s too late. That seed is already sown.’ 

Her other co-host, Elaine Welteroth, added that it was a moment to ‘stand up for anti-racism.’ 

Welteroth added: ‘When we give passes or give space to people who are saying damaging, harmful things, what we’re kind of doing is permissing it,’ she explained. ‘And I think that’s what people are reacting to.’ 

Queen and Prince Charles back angry Prince William after he broke family silence to blast back at Harry and Meghan’s race claims and insist royals are ‘very much NOT racist’

By Rebecca English, Royal Editor for the Daily Mail and Rory Tingle for MailOnline 

The Queen and Prince Charles backed Prince William last night after he insisted the royals were ‘very much not a racist family’.

William yesterday became the first senior Windsor to address directly the string of allegations made by Harry and Meghan in their explosive Oprah Winfrey interview. 

He also confirmed the depth of the rift between him and his brother.

William admitted he had not even spoken to Harry about the TV show – four days after it aired. His reaction laid bare his clear hurt over the claims made by his brother and sister-in-law.

The prince’s comments were praised by insiders, who said the 38-year-old did ‘very well given the emotion and enormity of it all’.

Last night, royal insiders claimed that although William and Harry have not spoken in months, the elder brother is prepared to stand ‘shoulder to shoulder’ with the Duke of Sussex at the unveiling of a statue of their late mother.

Sources told the Mirror ‘both camps are prepared to come together’ and put on a ‘united front’ when the tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales is installed at Kensington Palace on July 1.   

The Queen and Prince Charles (pictured together in 2019) have backed Prince William after he spoke out to insist the Royal Family are 'very much not a racist family' as the fallout from Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview continues to grow

The Queen and Prince Charles (pictured together in 2019) have backed Prince William after he spoke out to insist the Royal Family are ‘very much not a racist family’ as the fallout from Harry and Meghan’s bombshell interview continues to grow

The source added: ‘Tensions are undoubtedly running high but they both realise it is important to put any differences aside for the ceremony at least.

‘There is definitely a feeling that both camps are prepared to come together and put on a united front for such a special occasion.’

Buckingham Palace and Clarence House, the official homes of the Queen and the Prince of Wales, were both said to be supportive of William’s solo intervention on Thursday.

The prince was speaking as he and his wife Kate visited a school in east London to support a youth mental health support service. 

Aides had initially insisted the couple would not answer questions about the interview because it would ‘not be appropriate’ in a school setting.

This is not unusual on official engagements because royals like to keep the focus on the issue and the individuals they are supporting. But it is understood the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were also determined not to amend their programme to avoid the subject.

When Sky News reporter Inzamam Rashid shouted out two questions on their departure William did not blink. ‘Sir, have you spoken to your brother since the interview?’ he asked.

The prince replied tersely: ‘I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do.’

Question: 'Sir, have you spoken to your brother?' Answer: 'I haven't yet, but I will do'

Question: 'Is the Royal Family a racist family, sir? Answer: We're very much NOT a racist family

Terse: William yesterday answered questions called out by Sky reporter on London school visit with Kate and an unnamed woman on whether the Royal Family was racist. ‘We’re very much NOT a racist family,’ William replied to the question

The Daily Mail understands that the once-inseparable brothers have not spoken for months. As William and Kate walked on, the reporter persisted: ‘Can you just let me know, is the Royal Family a racist family?’

William turned so his voice could be heard and said, clearly and firmly, despite his mask: ‘We’re very much not a racist family.’

The frustration in his voice, and on his face, was clear. Kensington Palace declined to comment, saying the duke had said all he wished to say. 

But sources confirmed that the questions were entirely spontaneous and the prince – although expecting a reporter might try to ask him something – had no idea what that might be.

His firm rebuttal came after Buckingham Palace issued a statement on Tuesday on behalf of the Queen expressing the family’s sadness at learning the ‘full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan’.

The statement said the issues they raised, particularly that of race, were very ‘concerning’.

Pictured: Britain's Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge gesture during a visit to School21 following its re-opening after the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions in east London on March 11, 2021

Pictured: Britain’s Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Britain’s Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge gesture during a visit to School21 following its re-opening after the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions in east London on March 11, 2021

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge toured School21 in Stratford, east London, to mark the return of children to classes this week and the rollout to secondary schools of a mental health project Kate launched in primary schools in 2018

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge toured School21 in Stratford, east London, to mark the return of children to classes this week and the rollout to secondary schools of a mental health project Kate launched in primary schools in 2018



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button