Entertainment

Parents of US Marine imprisoned for criticizing Afghanistan withdrawal slam ‘outrageous’ treatment


A furious mother and father have accused the US of ‘trying to bury’ their Marine son after he was incarcerated for blasting Joe Biden’s Afghanistan withdrawal.  

On Wednesday night Stuart Scheller’s father Stu Sr and mother Cathy told Tucker Carlson they were shocked and angry at his fate after he was taken into pre-trial confinement on Monday over his social media posts. 

‘He’s been in prison since Monday,’ the father said. 

‘We talked to him for two minutes on Monday.

‘He gave us two messages. He said call my attorney. We did. He said tell everyone. So we appreciate you having us on.

‘We appreciate you allowing us to reach out to your listeners, because this story is outrageous and it needs to be told.’

The Ohio-based businessman told Carlson that his son’s only crime was ‘speaking truth to power – and power couldn’t handle it.’

He said that his son knew what he was doing when he repeatedly violated military orders not to use social media, following his explosive initial post. 

Stuart Scheller Sr and his wife Cathy on Wednesday night spoke to Tucker Carlson about their son’s detention in a Marine corps cell

‘Probably a week or two ago, maybe it was a week ago, they put him under a gag order,’ he explained.

‘They took away his right to post, to talk on social media, to e-mail, to text.

‘He shared it with America. And he knew this weekend when he posted again, he broke his silence, that they were probably gonna arrest him on Monday. 

‘He is a very intelligent man. He understands what’s going to happen to him.’

No charges have been filed, but the military is considering whether to charge him with crimes related to his August 26 video on social media, criticizing the manner of the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

‘I’m not saying we need to be in Afghanistan forever, but I am saying, did any of you throw your rank on the table and say, ‘Hey, it’s a bad idea to evacuate Bagram Airfield, a strategic airbase, before we evacuate everyone’?’ Scheller Jr said in the widely-shared clip. 

Stuart Scheller on August 26 posted a video criticizing U.S. military withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the following day lost his command. On Monday he was put in pretrial custody

Stuart Scheller on August 26 posted a video criticizing U.S. military withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the following day lost his command. On Monday he was put in pretrial custody

Stuart Scheller is pictured with his father Stu and mother Cathy. His parents are now campaigning on his behalf

Stuart Scheller is pictured with his father Stu and mother Cathy. His parents are now campaigning on his behalf

Scheller Sr said that his son ‘broke chain of command’ by speaking out. 

But, he insisted, the top military leaders – Lloyd Austin, the Defense Secretary; General Mark Milley, the joint chiefs of staff; and Frank Mackenzie, the commander of Central Command – were also to blame, for their actions amid the chaos in Afghanistan. 

‘While he broke chain of command, Austin, Milley, Mackenzie, they broke the chain of trust and confidence in the American people,’ he said.

‘We’re mad. We’re mad as hell.’

Scheller’s mother, Cathy, called on the military authorities to allow her son out of solitary confinement.

And she said that he had been informed on Wednesday night that he would have a pretrial hearing on Thursday to decide if he will be court martialed over his posts. 

‘They announced to his lawyers this morning with less than 24 hours notice that he will be in pretrial tomorrow,’ she said.

‘They dumped a 640 page document on them in 24 hours. 

‘They’re trying to bury our son.’ 

The regional brig where Scheller is being kept houses pre-trial inmates as well those serving sentences of one year or less. 

He is being kept in an area normally reserved for suspected murderers, a source close to the case said.

Some employees have provided Scheller with reading material, which is believed to include a copy of the Bible and a military history book.  

The pre-trial holding facility was rebuilt in 2012, replacing a 44-year-old jail with the ‘latest and greatest features,’ the Marines said in celebrating its opening.

The Marines have touted the facility as having a range of correctional programs, fitness training, counseling, religious programming, and more.

It wasn’t clear whether Scheller has access to any of those programs due to COVID-19 protocols, although a source close to the case told Dailymail.com that he was being treated ‘very well.’

‘The people at the brig have been very respectful and very professional with him, and he has no complaints whatsoever – besides being in jail,’ the source said. ‘The people there have been very gracious.’

Camp Lejeune's brig houses Marines awaiting trial and those with sentences of less than a year

Camp Lejeune’s brig houses Marines awaiting trial and those with sentences of less than a year

It's not clear whether the Marine is confined entirely to his cell, which includes a bed, sink and reading nook

It’s not clear whether the Marine is confined entirely to his cell, which includes a bed, sink and reading nook

The pre-trial holding facility was built in 2012 and offers numerous correctional programs, fitness training, and more

The pre-trial holding facility was built in 2012 and offers numerous correctional programs, fitness training, and more 

A source close to the case says Scheller is being treated 'very well' and that brig employees have been 'respectful'

A source close to the case says Scheller is being treated ‘very well’ and that brig employees have been ‘respectful’

It's not clear whether he's allowed to spend time outside, where there's a basketball court and workout equipment

It’s not clear whether he’s allowed to spend time outside, where there’s a basketball court and workout equipment

One former employee says some prisoners are served 'lukewarm' meals at the North Carolina brig

One former employee says some prisoners are served ‘lukewarm’ meals at the North Carolina brig

Scheller on August 29 posted a YouTube video which sparked alarm, with seeming threats to superiors and messages to his wife

Scheller on August 29 posted a YouTube video which sparked alarm, with seeming threats to superiors and messages to his wife

Scheller was removed from command of the advanced infantry training battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, the day after he posted his first video ‘due to a loss of trust and confidence in his ability to command,’ according to Maj. Jim Stenger, a spokesman for the Marines. 

Scheller then sparked concern when, three days after his original video, he posted a 10 minute clip resigning from the military and threatening to ‘bring the whole f****** system down.’ 

Dressed in civilian clothing and seated in front of a chess set in what he said was ‘an abandoned school bus in eastern North Carolina’, Scheller’s tone and language worried his supervisors. 

Speaking directly to his wife in the second clip, Scheller said: ‘I don’t know what decisions you’re going to make in the next 72 hours,’ without elaborating further. 

He then gave out his wife’s Venmo and PayPal information. 

He appeared to threaten his bosses, saying: ‘When I am done with what I’m about to do, you all are going to need the jobs and the security.’

At the end of the clip, he declares, ‘We’re just getting started.’



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button