Natalie Portman may leave Sydney after cancelling her new film Days of Abandonment


She’s made Sydney her home for almost a year, but Natalie Portman may return to the U.S. after pulling out of the upcoming movie Days of Abandonment.

The Oscar winner, 40, announced on Tuesday she’d resigned from the project, which was set to start filming at Fox Studios on July 26.

She pulled out just a day before filming was set to commence, effectively putting a stop to production, The Daily Telegraph reported.  

Heading home? She’s made Sydney her home for almost a year, but Natalie Portman may return to the U.S. after pulling out of the upcoming movie Days of Abandonment. Pictured in Los Angeles on October 14, 2019

‘Due to unforeseen personal reasons, Natalie Portman has stepped down from HBO Films’ Days of Abandonment prior to the start of filming,’ HBO said in a statement. 

‘Unfortunately, the production will not move forward. We are very sorry we won’t be able to bring this beautiful story to the screen with our talented writer/director and cast.

‘We send our sincere thanks to our cast, producers, and crew for all their passion and hard work.’

Opting out: The Oscar winner, 40, announced on Tuesday she'd resigned from the project, which was set to start filming at Fox Studios on July 26

Opting out: The Oscar winner, 40, announced on Tuesday she’d resigned from the project, which was set to start filming at Fox Studios on July 26

Natalie was also set to executive produce the film, based on the best-selling novel by Elena Ferrante.

The film had been in pre-production, and centred around a woman named Tess, who abandoned her own dreams in favour of maintaining a stable home life, only for her husband to walk out on her.

The Federal Government had committed $3.4million to the project as part of its location incentive program, while Communication Minister Paul Fletcher had said he expected the production to generate more than $25million for the local economy.

Pulling the plug: She pulled out just a day before filming was set to commence, effectively putting a stop to production. Pictured in Los Angeles on September 25, 2019

Pulling the plug: She pulled out just a day before filming was set to commence, effectively putting a stop to production. Pictured in Los Angeles on September 25, 2019

While it’s not known what ‘personal reasons’ prevented her from going ahead with the film, Natalie has deleted the majority of posts from her Instagram account.

The only post which remains is from June 1, and was uploaded ahead of her 40th birthday on June 9.

‘As a birthday gift to myself, I will be taking some time in nature away from my phone. Wishing you all love and fulfillment until we connect again!’ she captioned it. 

Parting ways: 'Due to unforeseen personal reasons, Natalie Portman has stepped down from HBO Films' Days of Abandonment prior to the start of filming,' HBO said in a statement. Pictured in the Blue Mountains with her husband, Benjamin Millepied

Parting ways: ‘Due to unforeseen personal reasons, Natalie Portman has stepped down from HBO Films’ Days of Abandonment prior to the start of filming,’ HBO said in a statement. Pictured in the Blue Mountains with her husband, Benjamin Millepied

Natalie and her family relocated Down Under in September last year, ahead of her filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Sydney.

There were even rumours the Israeli-born American actress was looking to make Australia her permanent home, after inspecting properties in Sydney earlier in the year with her husband of nine years, Benjamin Millepied.

The Black Widow star’s parents, Shelley and Avner, also joined the family, alongside Natalie and Benjamin’s children, son Aleph, 10, and daughter Amalia, four. 

Involved: Natalie was also set to executive produce the film, based on the best-selling novel by Elena Ferrante. Pictured at a South Sydney Rabbitohs game in Sydney on March 26

Involved: Natalie was also set to executive produce the film, based on the best-selling novel by Elena Ferrante. Pictured at a South Sydney Rabbitohs game in Sydney on March 26

While Natalie completed work on the latest Thor instalment, Benjamin, 44, directed the upcoming movie Carmen in Sydney.

The film, which is a modern-day reimagining of one of the world’s most popular operas, stars Elsa Pataky and Paul Mescal.

In a post on Instagram in February, Benjamin wrote of Australia: ‘[I’m] In awe of the beauty of this country and its people.’

Taking a break: While it's not known what 'personal reasons' prevented her from going ahead with the film, Natalie has deleted the majority of posts from her Instagram account. Pictured in Beverly Hills on February 24, 2019

Taking a break: While it’s not known what ‘personal reasons’ prevented her from going ahead with the film, Natalie has deleted the majority of posts from her Instagram account. Pictured in Beverly Hills on February 24, 2019

In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel Live in December, Natalie revealed her children had started to pick up some Aussie words and phrases.   

‘When you want something, they say lollies instead of candy, tomato sauce instead of ketchup. When you want what you want, you gotta say it like the locals,’ she said.

Putting on an Australian accent, Natalie playfully added: ‘I’d like some tomato sauce with my chips.’

Home sweet home: There were even rumours the Israeli-born American actress was looking to make Australia her permanent home, after inspecting properties in Sydney earlier in the year. Pictured on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on October 2, 2019

Home sweet home: There were even rumours the Israeli-born American actress was looking to make Australia her permanent home, after inspecting properties in Sydney earlier in the year. Pictured on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on October 2, 2019



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button