One person is killed and five wounded at mass shooting inside Orange County Presbyterian church: Police have a suspect in custody and recover the weapon they believe was used
- One person has been killed while at least five others were shot and wounded Sunday at a church in Laguna Woods, California
- Six people were struck in total by the gunfire, one of which suffered fatal wounds and died at the scene
- Four of the other victims are said to be critically wounded and one suffered minor injuries
- There was a major response from Orange County Sheriff’s officials
- Sheriff’s department said it detained a suspect and found a weapon
- Number of casualties was not immediately clear Orange County Fire Authority said it was treating victims and taking multiple patients to hospitals
One person has been killed while at least four people have been shot at a church north of Laguna Beach, in southern California.
Orange County Fire Authority said it was on the scene at the Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, a retirement community, treating victims and taking a number of people to hospital.
‘Deputies are responding to reports of a shooting at a church on the 24000 block of El Toro Road in Laguna Woods, Orange County.
A number of people have been shot at the Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods
All manner of emergency vehicles could be seen outsider the church on Sunday afternoon
The Orange County Sheriff gave details of what was unfolding on Sunday afternoon on Twitter
Multiple victims have been shot. More details to follow, PIO en route,’ the Orange County Sheriff wrote on Twitter on Sunday afternoon.
‘We have detained one person and have recovered a weapon that may be involved.’
The circumstances leading up to the incident were not immediately known.
Six people were struck by gunfire, one of which suffered fatal wounds and died at the scene.
Four of the other victims are said to be critically wounded and one suffered minor injuries.
Laguna Woods is a relatively exclusive community for people aged 55 and older together with their companions or loved ones.
Large parts of it, including Laguna Woods Village are gated.
The incident occurred one day after a white supremacist killed 10 people during a shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo.
A passing driver captured images of a number of a fire engines that were on site following the shooting
A helicopter could be seen racing towards the scene on footage shared on Facebook
The Geneva Presbyterian Church at 24301 El Toro Rd, Laguna Woods, California is pictured on the church’s Facebook page.