An anti-monarchy group has been blasted for releasing a new video titled ‘It’s Time’ on the day it was announced Prince Philip had been rushed to hospital.
The minute-long video, which has been seen more than 400 times, calls for Britons to join the movement to wipe away the Royals.
Royal commentators branded the video ‘tasteless’, ‘bad timing’ with ‘bad material and bad ideas’.
Republic published the ‘trailer’ on its YouTube page featuring shots of the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince Andrew as well as the Sussex’s wedding (pictured)
The minute-long video, which has been seen more than 400 times, calls for Britons to join the movement to wipe away the Royals
A message with the clip said: ‘In a country where Royals reign one group will defy the odds to abolish the monarchy. A campaign will become a movement. It’s time.’
It featured footage of Prince Andrew during his car crash Newsnight interview in 2019, shots from Harry and Meghan’s wedding in 2018 and footage of the Queen.
It ended with a trailer page which claimed the footage was ‘starring the British people’.
Prince Philip, 99, was Tuesday night taken to the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in Marylebone as a ‘precautionary measure’ on the advice of his doctor.
The Duke was said to be in ‘good spirits’ and walked into the hospital unaided after being driven there by car.
The decision to admit him was taken with an ‘abundance of caution’ and the Queen, 94, remained at Windsor Castle and pressed ahead with her duties.
His illness is not Covid-related and comes after it was announced on January 9 the Royal couple had received their first doses of the vaccine due to their old age.
November 2020: The last photograph of Philip, where the Duke and Queen looked at the homemade card given to them by their great-grandchildren Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis ahead of their 73rd wedding anniversary
King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone, where the Duke was taken as a ‘precautionary measure’ on the advice of his doctor
Police officers stand at the entrance of The King Edward VII hospital where Prince Philip, who turns 100 this year, is currently receiving treatment
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told MailOnline: ‘Republic’s new publicity video ”It’s Time” is hilarious.
‘It’s rather like a trailer for an extremely bad comedy as we see clips but only hear deafening music.
‘Its Chief Executive Officer Graham Smith is shown speaking but we can’t hear a word of what he is saying.
‘At the end it actually says ”starring the British people” which is rubbish. According to YouGov they consistently have around 20 per cent support.’
He added: ‘Bad material and bad ideas. With Prince Philip in hospital today, it’s bad timing too.’
Prince Charles‘s biographer Tom Bower slammed the footage as ‘tasteless and counterproductive. And unfortunately disgusting too’.
Another person commented on Republic’s YouTube page: ‘PRINCE PHILIP IS IN HOSPITAL.’
A message with the clip said: ‘In a country where Royals reign one group will defy the odds to abolish the monarchy. A campaign will become a movement. It’s time’
It featured footage of Prince Andrew during his car crash Newsnight interview in 2019, shots from Harry and Meghan’s wedding in 2018 and footage of the Queen
It ended with a trailer page which claimed the footage was ‘starring the British people’
Police officers were on Wednesday standing guard outside the private central London hospital where Prince Philip is being treated.
Reinforcements were seen trooping towards the front entrance later as television cameras began arriving.
The Duke will celebrate his 100th birthday on June 10, around the same time Prince Harry and Meghan are expecting their second child.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: ‘His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
‘The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell. The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.’
Boris Johnson led the nation in sending his best wishes to the Duke for a speedy recovery.
A No10 spokesman said: ‘The Prime Minister sends his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh as he undergoes a few days of rest in hospital.’
Republic CEO Graham Smith said: ‘The video was something I did a couple of weeks ago while experimenting with the iMovie trailer feature.
‘It took me about twenty minutes and was really just a bit of fun. I thought I’d put it on YouTube to see what our followers thought.
‘I hadn’t seen the Philip story at the time I put it up and we’re not doing anything in relation to him now or in the future.’