Jay James has claimed a music agent once told him to make a fake announcement about his wife having a miscarriage for publicity.
Jay, who placed eighth on the talent show in series 11 in 2014, added that he felt ‘a seed had been planted’ by the person’s remark as his wife Victoria tragically miscarried their child years later.
Shocking: Former X Factor star Jay James claimed on Saturday that a music agent once told him to make a fake announcement about his wife having a miscarriage for publicity
He told the publication: ‘There was one moment when I was signing to an agent after The X Factor, and he said, “We need to boost your profile. Are there any stories we can talk about?”
‘I said, “No, I’m just a regular guy.” Then he suggested that if my wife was pregnant, and then suddenly she wasn’t, that would give good headlines. Obviously I parted ways with them after that.
‘But years later, it came true. Victoria did fall pregnant and miscarried. It was almost like a seed had been planted by that idiot. It was heartbreaking.’
Jay, who is now a member of the Overtones, and Victoria share daughter Nova, seven, and son Franklin, two, together.
Incident: Jay (pictured with wife Victoria) said the agent ‘suggested that if my wife was pregnant, and then suddenly she wasn’t, that would give good headlines’
Candid: Jay (pictured in 2014) ‘parted way’ with the agent but said he felt ‘a seed had been planted’ by the person’s remark as his wife Victoria tragically miscarried their child years later
Jay is not the only former X Factor star to share shocking allegations against others in the music industry of mistreatment.
Earlier this week, Rebecca Ferguson shared alleged ‘evidence’ that a member of staff tried to help her and intervene after she was forced to work 18 hour days as a singer.
The mother-of-three, 34, who rose to prominence after placing second on the 2010 series of The X Factor and is currently making a documentary about the music business, took to Twitter to share screenshots of the correspondence.
On Wednesday, she shared an image of an a letter allegedly from one of her staff saying that her schedule was ‘simply not fair on you or your voice’.
Family: Jay, who placed eighth in series 11 of the show, and Victoria share daughter Nova, seven, and son Franklin, two, together (pictured)
Distressing: Jay is not the only former X Factor star to share shocking allegations as Rebecca Ferguson has alleged she was forced to work 18 hour days as a singer (pictured last month)
There is nothing to suggest she is referring to anyone from her record label Syco.
Rebecca wrote in the caption: ‘*evidence* – A personal member of staff trying to intervene!
‘Wake up at 6 am collected at 7 am work straight through until 1 am Back to the hotel by 1.30 am! Asleep by 2am Next work engagement 5 am the same morning.’
The letter – which was partially shaded out – read: ‘This needs to be amended for your sake Rebecca, rough guess, you will be picked up at day one, at 07.00 from yours, and be up for 18 hrs, then up again after 5 to sing again, then we fly home, it’s simply not fair on you and your voice.’
It continued: ‘Once again very well done the other night, you raised about it, and was amazing.’
Allegations: This week Rebecca shared alleged ‘evidence’ that a member of staff tried to help her and intervene
Bombshell: She shared an image of an a letter allegedly from one of her staff saying that her schedule was ‘simply not fair on you or your voice’
She went on to share a second screenshot allegedly from a lawyer who defended her after she claims she was made to do interviews from bed.
She wrote: ‘* Evidence* I was made to do interviews from BED! After collapsing this was not the first time! I collapsed multiple times in one day! Below (Counsel/ barristers notes to a solicitor)’
The document states: ‘She was clearly unwell – hence they arranged for her to do the interviews from bed on the 29th. Although she pushed on, they should have seen that she was not well enough – as indeed proved to be the case when she collapsed again at the interview.
‘They may try to present Rebecca as being work shy and if we show that she had issues with the schedule early on…..are we playing into this? Is our better focus, her concern with the schedule when she was not well?…Hopefully I’ll be then able the draft out to Rebecca.’
Difficult: She went on to share a second screenshot allegedly from a lawyer who defended her after she claims she was made to do interviews from bed
Hard: In a follow up tweet she wrote: ‘Scarily no ambulance was called which is deeply disturbing!’
In a follow up tweet she wrote: ‘Scarily no ambulance was called which is deeply disturbing! When somebody’s body is giving up that much that they are continually collapsing and falling unconscious,they need ‘Emergency’ Medical Treatment! NOT! interviews in bed!’
It comes after she claimed music bosses banned her from having cancerous cells removed from her body because the 10 day recovery period was too long and she was warned she could be ‘permanently disabled’.
MailOnline contacted representatives for further comment at the time.
She also took to Twitter to share a series of allegations on Monday evening, the lengthy tweet featured some repeated allegations, as well as fresh ones, such as the cancer scenario.
Action: In another set of Tweets on Wednesday she said that she has asked for an inquiry ‘based on evidence’
The tweet read: ‘*Thread* * I was forced into a contract despite running away from the solicitor and insisting I did not want to sign.
‘* I lived on limited food a day I was told when I could eat and drink * I was allowed 3 hours of sleep per night! * I was placed on a constant course of antibiotics because my body was so run down…
‘* Calls to my children were limited if they called me staff were told not to tell me or to ignore! * My personal relationships were dicatated staff were told to ruin my relationships Or face being sacked!!…
‘* I was told that I have to do as I’m told because of the money I make! * I was placed on sleeping pills and pain medication. * If I collapsed due to extreme exhaustion an ambulance would NOT be called…
Claims: It comes after she claimed music bosses banned her from having cancerous cells removed from her body because the 10 day recovery period was too long and she was warned she could be ‘permanently disabled’ on Monday
‘* when I lost a baby I begged for time off. I was told no! * I was classed as unfit to fly Airplane however my team asked me to fake looking well so that the airline would allow me to fly!…
‘* My team were told by doctors if I did not rest I would be permanently disabled! * I was not allowed to have cancerous cells removed My team said there is no time too because I needed 10 days recovery!…
‘When my mother was very ill and I needed to go home I was told ‘ when we tell you to do something you do as we f**king say’ I was forced to have intense media training so that I never said anything negative it was like being brainwashed…
‘I had my company files stolen and alot of money stolen so that I could not fight against them. Witnesses heard them say ‘We need to crush her spirit’…
‘They employed 7ft men to look after me and said it was because they wanted me to be intimidated and put in my place!…
Speaking out: The singer has been taking to Twitter regularly in the last few months with her allegations [pictured 2015]
‘My story is one of many the many victims deserve to have their stories aired not blocked and not silenced! I don’t care who they are or what legacy they want to maintain their victims deserve to have their voices heard!! #justiceforartists’ [sic]
In May, the singer revealed she suffered a miscarriage earlier in her music career, additionally claiming she was ‘forced to work through’ the ordeal, despite ‘pleading to them’ to let her recover.
Rebecca tweeted: ‘You will see more in my documentary… but these people forced me to work through a miscarriage despite me pleading to them that I was too ill to work and needed to rest!
‘They need to be stopped! Exploitation at its absolute worst! modern-day slavery!
Ordeal: Rebecca revealed she suffered a miscarriage earlier in her music career, additionally claiming she was ‘forced to work through’ the ordeal, despite ‘pleading to them’ to let her recover
‘For those who say you knew what you were getting into! I almost died promoting music for you all to listen to! I lost a baby whilst promoting music for you all to listen to! Nope definitely did not! ever! In a million years sign up for that! Stop defending abusers!’ [sic]
Rebecca added: ‘Forcing Artists to sign to a management company who they have never met! Is exploitation, giving an artist an accountant and solicitor that is not of their own choosing is exploitation!
‘Taking artists out of ‘circulation’ and refusing to allow them to work because you have had your financial use of them is exploitation! It is modern-day slavery! FACT!
Tweets: The singer, 34, has additionally claimed that she was ‘forced to work through’ the ordeal, despite ‘pleading to them’ to let her recover
‘I don’t care who your friends are in high places who quite clearly refuse to call you out for your actions in case they are financially disconnected! Get new friends! I am here to tell you you are wrong and what you have done is abuse and exploitation!..
‘And the same friends who have given you bad advice and who are currently stroking your ego! Will flee and run a million miles away when my documentary comes out exposing the truth. however, as you taught me through your own ruthlessness that’s showbiz!!..
‘And for all of you saying they will bury your story and ruin you because money is power! No, my dears power is power! Truth and receipts and evidence and emails and medical records and police records is POWER!…
Doting mum: Rebecca has three children – Lillie, 18, Karl Jr, 16, and Arabella, six
‘I am all grown up now what you ‘All’ did to that young innocent girl is unforgivable! However, that young girl is now a woman and this woman is going to make sure that you ‘ALL’ never abuse another artist ever again!’ [sic]
Rebecca has recently demanded a parliamentary inquiry into the music industry and called for greater regulation to protect artists from ‘bullying’ agents and managers.
Meanwhile, in an unrelated incident, Rebecca threw her support behind fellow X Factor contestant Katie Waissel after the singer claimed she had been sexually assaulted by a member of the show’s team.
She added: ‘I am all grown up now what you ‘All’ did to that young innocent girl is unforgivable!’
Katie, 35, who also appeared on the programme in 2010 with Rebecca, alleged the incident happened in the US when she met the person to talk about recording work, years after appearing on the show.
Rebecca voiced her support for Katie. Addressing her co-star on Twitter, Rebecca wrote: ‘@katiewaissel24 I stand with you and every woman who has the courage to speak out and tell their truth.’
Rebecca also posted a series of quotes that offered information on rape culture and sexual violence.
One of which was a quote from Angelina Jolie, which read: ‘We must send a message across the world that there is no disgrace in being a survivor of sexual violence. The shame is on the aggressor.’
Support: Rebecca threw her support behind fellow X Factor star Katie Waissel after the singer claimed she had been sexually assaulted by a member of the show’s team [pictured on the show with Katie [far right] alongside Cher Lloyd [far left] and the girls’ mentor Cheryl]
Prior to Katie’s interview with The Sun, Rebecca revealed that a ‘huge story’ was about to come out regarding alleged abuse in the industry.
She wrote: ‘A huge story is coming out this weekend a victim has spoken out.
‘Because of this reputation managers and crisis teams will be flooding the press with positive stories to manipulate public opinion and water down the truth! Don’t be fooled!’
During the interview, Katie claimed she was sexually assaulted by somebody on the X Factor team years after she competed in the talent contest.
Claims: Katie (pictured in 2010), who also appeared on the programme in 2010 with Rebecca, alleged the incident happened in the US when she met the person to talk about recording work
Waiving her right to anonymity, Katie said: ‘I can still smell him. I was paralysed with shock. All I could think was, ‘How am I going to leave this room?’
‘I was a victim but I wouldn’t allow myself to recognise just how terrible it had been.’
The publication also claimed the alleged assault happened at a luxury hotel and Katie detailed why she’s not talked about it before.
She said: ‘I’ve never spoken before as I thought I’d be blacklisted and never work again.’
Katie added that she decided not to make a formal complaint at the time as she was pregnant, but that she feels being ‘focused on success’ after the X Factor made her ‘vulnerable’.
Support: In the wake of Katie’s claims, Rebecca took to Twitter to show her support, writing: ‘I stand with you and every woman who who has the courage to speak out and tell their truth’
Tweet: Prior to Katie’s interview with The Sun, Rebecca revealed that a ‘huge story’ was about to come out regarding alleged abuse in the industry
The singer said if she could change the past, she would never have appeared on the singing contest in 2010.
A spokesperson for Syco Entertainment said: ‘We were made aware via the media of Katie’s claims in Autumn 2017 and we immediately contacted her and began an investigation.
‘We were naturally shocked at the allegations and wanted to do anything we could to help – so we asked her to lodge a complaint with us and detail the allegations for that purpose. In the interim we suspended the accused.
‘Despite a number of requests to Katie asking her to detail the claims to us, she chose not to make a complaint over his behaviour. As a result, and without other evidence to the contrary, we were obliged to accept his denial of the claims.
‘We, of course, remain ready and keen to investigate her claims if she so chooses to detail them to us and even though the alleged perpetrator no longer works for either Syco or Sony Music.’
Speaking out: Katie added that she decided not to make a formal complaint at the time, but that she feels being ‘focused on success’ after the X Factor made her ‘vulnerable’
Katie has spoken candidly in recent months about her time on the X Factor and recently told how appearing on the show left her feeling suicidal and she is still receiving Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD] therapy.
The singer has joined a host of former competitors, including Chico Slimane, Jedward and Rebecca, who have spoken about the ‘abuse’ they suffered while on the show.
Katie insisted she ‘can’t stay silent’ on the matter because people’s careers have been shattered and she claims many are still having counselling.
Speaking to Closer magazine, she said: ‘We all had to go through media training – almost a type of brainwash – ensuring we never said a bad word about the show or those that worked on or alongside it.
‘But how can we stay silent when future careers were shattered, and past contestants, myself included, are still undertaking therapy for PTSD caused by this show?
‘I had experienced such a low point when I was trying to rebuild my life, that I had frighteningly found myself contemplating suicide.’
Katie previously moved to the US after being shaken by death threats and cruel messages from vile online trolls. Now back in the UK, she has opened up on her time on the show and the way she found it behind the scenes.
An X Factor spokesperson told MailOnline: ‘Duty of care to our contestants is of the utmost importance to us. We take welfare very seriously and have measures in place to ensure that they are supported.
Recently, X Factor icon Chico Slimane claimed the show ‘uses and abuses you’ and is only interested in making ‘money’ from contestants.
The singer, 50, who appeared in the second series of the ITV singing show back in 2005, said the people behind the show ‘don’t care about you’ and that artists are a ‘commodity’ to them.
He said: ‘You’re a commodity, you are as good as the money you’re going to make them. That is it. You are completely replaceable and as I said it’s a conveyor belt. if you’re not going to do it, someone else will take your place to do it.’
Speaking on Late night with Cristo on talkRADIO, the former goat herder who now runs a wellness retreat in Portugal told that although the show gave him a ‘platform’ to do other things, he believes singers are ‘naive’ for thinking they’d have long careers in the music industry.
A host of other former contestants have spoken out about facing ‘abuse’ during and straight after their time on the talent show.
X Factor contestant Lloyd Daniels admitted he felt pressured to hide a same-sex relationship while competing on the show in 2009.
Speaking out: Fellow X Factor alum Rebecca has demanded a parliamentary inquiry into the music industry
While Jahmene Douglas, who was runner up in 2012, also claimed people in the industry ‘close doors’ to make room for others despite their levels of talent.
Former contestants Jedward also blasted Simon Cowell in a stunning tirade, claiming he sees himself as the ‘mafia leader’ of the music industry and said they regretted not telling the judges to ‘f**k off’ while on the ITV show.
While many have spoken about their negative experience on the show, Honey G defended Simon and ITV producers.
The singer, who appeared on the show in 2016, insisted she wasn’t ‘used or exploited’ and she built a ‘strong relationship’ with bosses, adding that her experience was ‘very very positive.’
Honey G, whose real name is Anna Gilford, told Metro she has no regrets about taking part in the X Factor, and she was given access to dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) while on the show.
The singer, who came out as gay in 2017, added that she never felt pressured to hide her sexuality or publicly come out by bosses.
She said: ‘I have to jump to Simon Cowell’s defence in this instance because I really can’t fault the duty of care that they had. My experience was very, very positive and I think they were lovely people. It was completely life-changing.’
For support on this matter contact miscarriageassociation.org.uk or call 01924 200799
For confidential support call Rape Crisis England & Wales on 0808 802 9999 or visit rapecrisis.org.uk/get-help for more details
For a full list of support centres, please visit: gov.uk/sexualabusesupport
Claims: A source has said that ‘momentum is gathering’ and others are ‘finding confidence to tell their stories’ in the wake of Jedward’s allegations