This is the moment a Florida deputy officer was seen saving a three-year-old boy from his smoke-filled home after his father had left him with his older sibling to get food.
Flagler County deputy officer Marcus Dawson arrived to the scene of the house fire on Sunday night ahead of local firefighters.
The deputy’s bodycam footage captured him walking around the perimeter of the house and attempting to alert the residents.
Dawson then found the young boy hiding under a blanket in his father’s smoke-filled bedroom. That part of the clip was ‘muzzed’ to hide the child’s identity, although firefighters later shared a photo of the little boy where his face was visible.
Flagler County Deputy Officer Marcus Dawson (left) is pictured with Palm Coast Firefighter-Paramedic Kalin Graham (left center), the three-year-old boy he saved from a smoky Florida home (right center) and the boy’s father Kevin Farris, 41 (right)
Dawson had saved the three-year-old boy from a house fire on Sunday night. The boy was found hiding under a blanket in his smoke-filled father’s room
The cop had initially arrived at the home to find a male neighbor standing in his driveway as Dawson rushed towards the scene.
That neighbor told Dawson that he saw flames in the home and that three people lived in the residence.
Dawson was then seen running behind the home and then back towards the front to see if any of the residents were there.
He had noted that he saw thick black smoke in the kitchen when he had checked the outside.
Dogs inside the home were also heard loudly barking from the back porch.
He repeatedly yelled ‘Sheriff’s office!’ as he banged on the front door and rang the doorbell.
Fire alarms and engines were heard ringing throughout the neighborhood as Dawson continued to try to get inside.
K-9 Deputy First Class officer Marcus Dawson was commended by fellow safety officials for his actions
Dawson’s bodycam footage revealed him walking around the perimeter of the home to find the source of the fire and to see if any of the home’s three residents were inside
He rushed the little boy to the front of the home where fire rescue crews were waiting
He walked back around the house and entered through the screened porch.
Dawson then saw the young boy under the blanket with his tablet as he pulled open the back screen door that led to the father’s bedroom.
The footage became blurred by the smoke when Dawson noticed the boy’s head peaking out of the blanket
‘Hi, buddy? Where’s your mommy?’, Dawson asked the young boy.
The boy then faintly responded and Dawson then grabbed the frightened young boy in his arms.
He was then handed off to a female firefighter in front of the home and was found to be in stable condition.
The older sibling, who was in the young boy’s care, had apparently left the house before the fire began.
The 17-year-old boy is the stepson of the child’s father Kevin Farris, 41, who had left to go to the home of his biological father.
He did not notify Farris of his whereabouts as he did not have a cell phone on him.
The Palm Coast Fire Department responded to the scene after Dawson had arrived earlier
Farris said that he had originally planned to take his three-year-old son with him to pick up the Chinese food but saw he was sleeping and assumed his stepson would stay at home with the toddler.
The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental as a microwave malfunction was believed to be the reason behind it.
Dawson’s work in saving the young boy and helping to secure the home were commended by his fellow safety workers.
‘Without DFC Dawson immediately running toward danger, even without a safety respirator, this could have been a much different outcome,’ Sheriff Rick Staly said on the department’s Facebook.
‘This child was hiding in fear of the fire and smoke watching a cartoon on his phone when, thankfully, DFC Dawson’s training in emergency response allowed him to find this child and safely rescue him.
‘This was a dangerous situation and we are very proud of DFC Dawson’s bravery and commitment to serving this community and saving a life.’
The cause of the fire was believed to be a microwave malfunction in the kitchen
Staly also mentioned that if Dawson had not acted as quickly, then the situation could have potentially had an entirely different outcome.
‘Just to put it in perspective,’ Palm Coast Fire Chief Jerry Forte told Flager Live.
‘You have a deputy who first gets on scene and asks all the right questions of the neighbors, goes behind the house, takes a quick look, tries to get attention from someone at the front door, doesn’t know if anybody is in the house, doesn’t get a response, yet is willing to open a sliding glass door and look to see what’s on the other side.
‘That’s heroic behavior right there.’