Bill Cosby‘s ‘disgusted’ accusers have described his release as a ‘kick in the gut’ as he walked free from prison Wednesday, just hours after his sexual assault conviction was overturned in a stunning ruling.
Lisa Bloom, the attorney for three of the 83-year-old’s alleged victims including model Janice Dickinson slammed the decision to overturn his conviction as evidence that the ‘system still massively favors the rich and powerful’.
Accuser Beth Ferrier said the outcome did not prove her alleged attacker’s innocence while Victoria Valentino told how her ‘stomach lurched’ on hearing Cosby was now free and could not be retried for his crimes.
The disgraced comedian, once known as ‘America’s dad’, left state prison in suburban Montgomery County after serving less than three years of a three to 10 year sentence for drugging and sexually assaulting Temple University sports administrator Andrea Constand at his home in Pennsylvania in 2004.
His release came after Pennsylvania’s highest court threw out his conviction, ruling that the prosecutor who brought the case was bound by his predecessor’s promise not to prosecute him.
The shock overturning of his sentence comes as a major blow to the #MeToo movement and the at least 60 women who came forward to accuse the comedian of assault, with many of them speaking out Wednesday to condemn the ruling.
Bill Cosby outside his home in Pennsylvania on Wednesday with his legal team after being released from prison
Bill Cosby arrives home after being released from prison in Pennsylvania Wednesday
‘The 3 Bill Cosby accusers I represent and I are disgusted that he is a free man today. He is not released because he is innocent.
‘He is released because a prosecutor promised him years ago that he would not be brought to justice, without even making a deal for him to do time,’ said Lisa Bloom in a statement.
Bloom commended Dickinson’s ‘brave decision’ as one of five women who testified against Cosby at his 2018 trial as part of the prosecution’s efforts to show a pattern of behavior.
‘I will never forget my client Janice Dickinson’s brave decision to testify as a ‘prior bad acts’ witness in Cosby’s 2018 criminal trial.
‘She knew this could be used against her in her civil case. We decided we didn’t care. Getting him criminally convicted was essential.
‘We prepared her for the ugly cross-examination that would come. We flew across the country, waited day after day for her turn,’ she wrote.
‘I watched the other ‘prior bad acts’ witnesses testify magnificently. Then Janice’s turn. She slayed. I was so proud of her and all the others.’
Dickinson testified that he assaulted her in 1982 in Lake Tahoe when she was a 27-year-old model.
She continued: ‘And of course, the victim in the case, Andrea Constand, so dignified, so strong, answering every demeaning question. The conviction.
The attorney for three of the 83-year-old’s alleged victims including model Janice Dickinson released a statement on Twitter saying they were ‘disgusted’ by the decision
Janice Dickinson (seen in 2018 at Cosby’s sentencing) testified at trial that Cosby assaulted her in 1982 in Lake Tahoe when she was a 27-year-old model
‘We couldn’t believe it: justice, a tiny bit, finally. And now this. A kick in the gut to victims and their advocates.’
She added: ‘Every day I fight for sexual assault victims and have to advise them of the ugly truth: the system still massively favors the rich and powerful. You need a superhuman level of strength and courage.
‘Luckily many victims have it. Any other Cosby victims, time to come forward!’
Accuser Victoria Valentino told DailyMail.com she could ‘hardly find words’ to describe what she was feeling after hearing the news.
‘I just heard and my stomach lurched. I’m so upset I can hardly find words,’ she said.
‘We had just gotten news that his parole had been denied and so we felt safe and now everything is upside down.’
Accuser Victoria Valentino (pictured left) told DailyMail.com she could ‘hardly find words’ to describe what she was feeling after hearing the news. Janice Baker-Kinney (right) wrote ‘RAPIST #RAPIST #RAPIST’ on Twitter
Valentino told Good Morning America Cosby’s history of alleged abuse was ‘well known’ in Hollywood
Valentino told DailyMail.com she no longer feels safe knowing that the man she described as a ‘serial sexual predator’ is now walking free after just three years behind bars.
‘What is a woman’s worth?’ she questioned.
‘A legal glitch and now a serial sexual predator is free and I don’t know how any of us who have spoken so publicly can feel safe.’
Valentino was the sixteenth woman to come forward to accuse Cosby of assault.
Valentino told Good Morning America Cosby’s history of alleged abuse was ‘well known’ in Hollywood.
‘After I went public after all this stuff came down, I got so many stories from so many other people and it was well known,’ she said, adding that people would be told not ‘never to go to the Cosby house without eating and drinking first and never to take anything from them to eat or drink.’
Janice Baker-Kinney blasted Cosby a ‘rapist’ on Twitter and thanked the DA who had prosecuted him for saying his release ‘is irrelevant to the facts of the crime’
TIMELINE OF THE CASE AGAINST COSBY
2004: Andrea Constand visits Cosby at his home and claims he drugs then sexually assaults her
2005: Constand goes to the police with her claim and it becomes public that an investigation is underway
FEB 17, 2005: Then Montgomery Co. DA Bruce Castor announces that after investigating her claims, he’s not going to charge Cosby because he doesn’t think there’s evidence
He encourages Constand to pursue civil action, to ‘seek some justice’
MARCH 2005: Constand sues Cosby and in civil depositions, he admits using quaaludes on women without their knowledge
2005-2015: Dozens of women come forward in the media to claim Cosby assaulted them but no charges are brought
DEC. 30, 2015: Cosby is arrested, two weeks before the statute of limitations would have expired the case
JUNE 5, 2017: First trial begins with only testimony from two women
JUNE 17, 2017: Jury is deadlocked, mistrial declared
APRIL 2018: Second trial begins
APRIL 26: Cosby is convicted on 3 counts
SEPTEMBER 25: Cosby is sentenced to between three and 10 years
DECEMBER: Cosby files a first appeal but it is rejected, his conviction is upheld
JUNE 2020: PA Supreme Court says it’ll hear his appeal
JUNE 2021: Supreme Court overturns Cosby’s conviction, he is freed immediately
She also questioned the alleged ties between ‘sociopath’ Cosby and Bruce Castor and the role this has played in his conviction being overturned.
‘He’s a sociopath, he’s a serial rapist…’ she said.
Beth Ferrier told the New York Post the decision to overturn the conviction of her alleged rapist was ‘bulls**t’ and warned that it sets ‘a precedent.’
‘It’s money and power. He’s so guilty of what he did. It doesn’t matter, and it sets a precedent,’ she said, adding she was ‘floored’ by the ruling.
‘Is it because of power and money that he gets to do this?’
Ferrier said she was now fearful that Cosby would profit from his prison stint by writing a book and would ‘become world famous again.’
She told how the 83-year-old ‘took everything’ from his alleged victims and needs to be ‘held accountable’ calling for a victims fund to be set up to pay for his crimes if he is not going to pay for them behind bars.
‘He owes money to a victim fund. He should be held accountable,’ she said, adding that he had never apologized to his victims.
Ferrier had a brief consensual relationship with Cosby for a few months in 1984 before ending things with the comedian.
She said he then drugged her coffee and raped her in an incident in Denver.
Ferrier also featured in Constand’s civil suit brought against Cosby.
One of Cosby’s other alleged victims repeated her own accusations of him being a rapist on Twitter Wednesday.
Janice Baker-Kinney shared an article about her alleged abuser’s release and wrote: ‘Bill Cosby’s sex assault conviction overturned by court. #RAPIST #RAPIST #RAPIST.’
In a follow-up tweet she thanked District Attorney Kevin Steele for bringing the charges against Cosby in the first place.
‘DA Kevin Steele and his office has my eternal gratitude,’ she penned, alongside a statement from the DA’s office where he described the overturning of Cosby’s conviction as ‘a procedural issue that is irrelevant to the facts of the crime.’
Baker-Kinney was also among Cosby’s alleged victims who testified at trial, where she recounted an alleged incident in 1982 where she said she was given pills and passed out, before walking up the next day undressed next to Cosby in bed.
Another woman who says she was assaulted by Cosby in the 1980s told TMZ his release was ‘disrespectful and despicable’ to his victims and ‘shows that women do not have the respect of men.’
Sammie Mays was working as a journalist when she said Cosby invited her to his suite for a drink in 1987.
She claims she blacked out and woke up to find him assaulting her.
Angela Leslie, who claims Cosby groped himself with her hand in 1992, told TMZ Wednesday’s decision shows ‘the justice system served the criminal, in this case, as opposed to the victims.’
Leslie said she hoped his limited time behind bars had gone some way to teaching him to be a ‘better person.’
Andrea Constand (center) is the woman Cosby was convicted of drugging and sexually assaulting at his Pennsylvania home in 2008
Alleged victim Beth Ferrier and Gloria Allred (left and right) in 2015. Ferrier called the decision to overturn Cosby’s conviction ‘bulls**t’ and warned that it sets ‘a precedent’
‘At this point, I just hope that he took time to reflect on the pain and anguish his actions caused so many women,’ she said.
‘And, also puts in the work towards becoming a better person.’
At least 60 women accused Cosby of assault but he was only convicted at his 2018 trial of sexually assaulting one woman – Andrea Constand who said he drugged and assaulted her in 2004.
None of the other allegations could be prosecuted because Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations had passed.
In Constand’s case, the charges were brought just two weeks before the statute of limitations expired.
Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor had promised Cosby he wouldn’t be charged when Constand reported the assault to police in 2005. There was no evidence that promise was ever put in writing.
Then-DA Castor, who went on to defend Donald Trump at his second impeachment trial, dropped the criminal case and told Constand to pursue a civil suit.
In the deposition for the suit, Cosby admitted using Quaaludes to get women to have sex with him.
The deposition was used as evidence to charge Cosby one decade later.
Bill Cosby, 83, flashes a peace sign at news crews as he arrives home on Wednesday after having his sexual assault conviction overturned by Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court
At his trial, five other alleged victims – Chelan Lasha, Janice Baker Kinney, Janice Dickinson, Lise-Lotte Lublin and Heidi Thomas – testified that he had also assaulted them.
He was convicted of sexually assaulting Constand in 2018 and sentenced to between three and 10 years behind bars.
Cosby claimed Castor had given him an ‘immunity deal’ and that that’s the only reason he gave the remarks in the deposition.
Cosby also argued the testimony of the other women meant ‘the presumption of innocence just didn’t exist for him.’
The court sided with Cosby Wednesday but only on the matter of Castor’s promise, saying ‘we do not address Cosby’s other issue.’
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court judges on Wednesday said the promise led the comedian to incriminate himself in the damning deposition where he confessed to drugging women with Quaaludes to get them to have sex with him.
The judges said Cosby was robbed of his fifth amendment right not to incriminate himself when he was deposed, and so had to be freed and cannot face prosecution on the charges again.
Cosby returned to his home Wednesday and held a press conference with his legal team.
The disgraced TV star did not speak at the briefing but one of his lawyers Brian Perry told reporters ‘the system has to be fair, and fortunately the Supreme Court agreed with us.’
THE 5 WHO TESTIFIED AGAINST COSBY AT TRIAL ABOUT OTHER ‘INCIDENTS’
Lasha testified about 1986 incident with Cosby when she was 17.
She said he’d invited her to his room at the Las Vegas Hilton and told her he’d help her with her career.
Janice Baker Kinney
Testified about a 1982 incident with Cosby in Reno.
She said she was given pills, they played backgammon and she passed out then woke up the next day undressed, next to Cosby in bed
Dickinson testified that Cosby assaulted her in 1982 in Lake Tahoe.
She said: ‘His robe opened…he smelled like cigar and espresso and his body odor. Here was America’s Dad on top of me. A happily married man with five children, on top of me.’
She was 27 at the time.
She testified that Cosby gave her two drinks in his hotel room in Las Vegas in 1989. She said she remembers him stroking her hair but then she passed out.
Thomas testified that she met Cosby in 1984 and that after taking one sip of wine he’d given her, she passed out.
She said she woke up in his bed in a hotel room in Reno and that she was drowsy for days afterwards.
At least 60 women have testified against Cosby in total either in civil lawsuits or interviews