Santos’ campaign lists new treasurer – who already turned down the job
As Rep. George Santos’ campaign tries to clean up the New York Republican‘s campaign finance mess, it named a new treasurer on updated forms filed Wednesday with the Federal Election Commission.
The only problem: the individual listed – Thomas Datwyler – turned down the job earlier this week, his lawyer confirmed to DailyMail.com.
‘On Monday we informed the Santos campaign that Mr. Datwyler would not be serving as treasurer. It appears that there’s been a disconnect between that conversation and the filings today, which we did not authorize,’ said Datwyler’s lawyer Derek Ross.
According to Datwyler’s LinkedIn profile, he identifies as a ‘campaign finance compliance consultant’ and works for a Wisconsin-based firm. Datwyler’s specialty is helping candidates with their FEC forms.
On new Federal Election Commission filings for committees connected to embattled Rep. George Santos, a new treasurer is named. However, the individual’s lawyer told DailyMail.com that he turned down the job two days ago
Campaign finance consultant Thomas Datwyler is listed as the treasurer for at least four Santos-related political committees. However, his lawyer says he turned down the job with the Santos campaign on Monday
Mother Jones first reported that Datwyler had turned down the job with Santos.
Ross told DailyMail.com over the phone that he and his client are trying to get ahold of someone at the FEC ‘to figure out how to unwind this.’
Datwyler’s contact information is now listed on several Santos-related committees, including the Devolder Santos Victory Committee, the Devolder Santos For Congress Recount, the Devolder Santos Nassau Victory Committee and the Devolder Santos Van Duyne Victory Committee, which appears to be a joint fundraising committee with Texas Republican Rep. Beth Van Duyne.
Santos’ every move is being scrutinized after the Republican congressman was caught lying about almost every major detail of his backstory.
It’s apparent by the flurry of amended FEC filings that Santos is trying to clean-up submissions before an important filing deadling at the end of the month.
On Tuesday, amended forms showed he is no longer claiming a $500,000 loan to his Congressional campaign came from personal funds.
The Daily Beast first reported on the amended FEC filing, which shows that Santos unchecked the box that said ‘personal funds of the candidate’ when detailing the source of the six-figure loan, which still listed the congressman as its primary source.
THE ORIGINAL: An FEC filing from mid-September shows the source of a $500,000 loan to Santos’ campaign to be Santos’ ‘personal funds from the candidate’
THE AMENDED: A new filing from Tuesday shows that the box indicating the loan came from ‘personal funds of the candidate’ has been unchecked
One of the outstanding mysteries is how he wound up with a six-figure income and was able to self-fund his campaign.
The amended documents, however, shed no light on the source of those campaign funds.
In another updated document, Santos’ campaign details that the candidate loaned his campaign $125,000 in October, but the ‘personal funds of the candidate’ box is unchecked.
Last month, The New York Times reported that the 34-year-old Santos lied about major parts of his resume including where he went to college and that he previously held positions with the prestigious financial institutions of Citigroup and Goldman Sachs.
Since then, even more of Santos’ biography has unraveled, including his claim to have gone to the $59,800-a-year prep school Horace Mann, before dropping out when his parents encountered financial difficulty.
All along, one of the biggest head-scratchers has been how Santos was able to loan his campaign at a minimum $700,000 and who his clients were for his company, the Devolder Organization, where he claimed to be making a $750,000 annual salary.
In a follow-up story earlier this month, The Times detailed how Santos was tied to a group called RedStone Strategies, which was soliciting donations for the Republican’s Congressional campaign, but is not registered with the FEC, possibly skirting campaign finance laws.
The paper found that one Santos donor gave the campaign a $25,000 donation on October 21 through RedStone, which was described as an ‘independent expenditure’ group.
Days later, on October 26, Santos loaned his campaign the $125,000.
‘The person who solicited the donor said he was asked by Mr. Santos in the weeks leading up to the campaign to approach donors, some of whom had already given the maximum allowed to Mr. Santos’ election campaign, and to help coordinate their donations to RedStone, according to a person familiar with the arrangement who wished to remain anonymous,’ The Times report said.
Groups like RedStone, otherwise known as Super PACs, are able to exist, but they have to register with the FEC within 10 days of formation.
While they can raise money for specific candidates, they can’t coordinate with the campaigns.
Santos had previously said he used funds from his company, the Devolver Organization, to finance his campaign, a move legal experts said could count as an unlawful corporate contribution.
Brendan Fischer, deputy executive director of government watchdog group Documented, told The Daily Beast that Santos’ latest move ‘isn’t a half-measure – it is hardly even a quarter-measure.’
‘I don’t know what they think they are doing,’ Fischer said. ‘Santos’ campaign might have unchecked the “personal funds of candidate” box, but it is still reporting that the $500,000 came from Santos himself.’
‘If the “loan from candidate” didn’t actually come from the candidate, then Santos should come clean and disclose where the money really came from,’ Fischer continued.
‘Santos can’t uncheck a box and make his legal problems go away,’ he added.