Casino Firm Donates Land for Las Vegas Shooting Victims Memorial


Casino operator MGM Resorts International is donating two acres of land near Reno Avenue and Giles Street in Las Vegas for a permanent memorial honoring the victims and survivors of the 2017 mass shooting that left 58 dead and hundreds wounded.

News about the donation emerge as the specially assembled 1 October Memorial Committee asked the public to submit opinions online through August 15 on how the memorial should look.

In March, the committee launched an initial survey that showed a majority of respondents – 65% of a total of 6,066 respondents – want the planned permanent memorial to be established at the site of the incident across Las Vegas Boulevard.

Now known as the deadliest shooting in modern American history, the singular incident unfolded on the night of October 1, 2017 when a lone gunman rained gunfire into a crowd of 22,000 concertgoers attending the Route 91 Harvest music festival from his suite on the 32nd floor of MGM-operated Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino. His motive has never been identified by the police.

MGM owned the property at the time. It sold it to The Blackstone Group last year along with MGM Grand and leased it back for an initial annual rent of $292 million.

It should also be noted that the company owns the Las Vegas Village festival venue where the Route 91 Harvest was held. MGM has donated the northeast corner of the site, as announced by Clark County officials on Monday.

Permanent Memorial Vital for Community’s Healing

MGM said in a Monday statement that “having a permanent memorial commemorating the victims and heroes of 1 October is vital to our community’s continued healing and that they are “honored to donate a portion of the Village site to help bring that memorial to fruition.”

The casino operator’s donation comes nearly a year after it reached a settlement to pay $800 million to victims and relatives of victims of the shooting. More than 4,000 survivors and relatives of victims sued MGM, accusing the company of negligence, wrongful death, and liability over the incident and of failing to implement proper safety measures.

The next step toward building the permanent memorial is for the 1 October Memorial Committee to gather the input from the March and the ongoing surveys and draft an eventual recommendation. The Clark County Commission will then need to approve the recommendation.

The committee encourages participation in the questionnaire from anyone directly or indirectly affected by the shooting, including survivors, family members of victims and survivors, first responders, and health care workers.

Tennille Pereira, chairwoman of the community and director of the Vegas Strong Resiliency Center, said that the survey is “an important step in an ongoing communitywide conversation about the best way to memorialize what occurred” and that they want to create “a lasting memorial to remember, but getting the input of those affected is key to the success of this endeavor.”

Source: MGM donates land for Route 91 memorial to be built at site of shooting, Las Vegas Review-Journal, August 3, 2021





Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button